MT/R - uneven wear

Old March 21st 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier[_4_]

Default MT/R - uneven wear

on one of my rubicons i didnt rotate the tires properly and as a result
every other side lug wore down considerably creating unbearable road noise.
the tires on my current rubicon werent rotated properly and they also have
every other lug worn considerably creating that same unbearable noise. in
fact, when you cant hear yourself think it spoils the fun of driving a jeep.

the point in this post is trying to understand why every other lug wears
out. ideas/thought?

thanks,

--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

Old March 21st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> on one of my rubicons i didnt rotate the tires properly and as a
> result every other side lug wore down considerably creating
> unbearable road noise. the tires on my current rubicon werent rotated
> properly and they also have every other lug worn considerably
> creating that same unbearable noise. in fact, when you cant hear
> yourself think it spoils the fun of driving a jeep.
> the point in this post is trying to understand why every other lug
> wears out. ideas/thought?

Tractor tires do the same thing. Unless the tire is purely symetrical
there is always uneven wear as one section of the tread is just a teeny
bit less surface area than the other. Once one lug is a bit worn the
tire then hops to the next one, etc.

This is cut and paste from an old article on http://www.truckinginfo.com/
Google cache has it still.

---
Irregular wear patterns are caused by abrasion that is concentrated in one area of the tire tread instead of across the entire
footprint. Side forces created by turning, off tracking, incorrect toe, etc. can drag or slip the tire across the pavement and
concentrate wear on one side of the tire or one side of the ribs. Out-of-balance conditions and brake skids can make the tire bounce
or skip down the road rather than run smoothly and in contact with the road surface. Naturally, every time the tire lands in a
certain spot, it wears faster there. Tread pattern design and tire construction determine where the pressure on the footprint is
concentrated. If it is not spread fairly evenly across the tire’s footprint, irregular wear patterns will result.
---

--
DougW

Old March 21st 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> on one of my rubicons i didnt rotate the tires properly and as a result
> every other side lug wore down considerably creating unbearable road
> noise. the tires on my current rubicon werent rotated properly and they
> also have every other lug worn considerably creating that same unbearable
> noise. in fact, when you cant hear yourself think it spoils the fun of
> driving a jeep.
>
> the point in this post is trying to understand why every other lug wears
> out. ideas/thought?

Nate, I can't figure the dynamics of it, but every time I've seen the
alternate wear (cupping) pattern the cure was a GOOD alignment and some
combination of shocks, ball joints, and/or tie rod ends. I can see where
the ball joints or tie rod ends could give that pattern. I'll be damned if
I can see how shocks on a solid axle could do it - but experience says it
will. Frequent rotation and balance also seems to help a lot.

--
Will Honea

Old March 21st 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I worked in tire shops for years way back when and the scalloping is
usually either caused by bad shocks or a bad wheel balance allowing a
harmonic vibration to set up in the tire. It is an inside outside
balance thing if I remember correctly.

Those MTR's also wear out really fast compared to say a BFG.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> on one of my rubicons i didnt rotate the tires properly and as a result
> every other side lug wore down considerably creating unbearable road noise.
> the tires on my current rubicon werent rotated properly and they also have
> every other lug worn considerably creating that same unbearable noise. in
> fact, when you cant hear yourself think it spoils the fun of driving a jeep.
>
> the point in this post is trying to understand why every other lug wears
> out. ideas/thought?
>
> thanks,

'00 GJC uneven break wear DorkyGrin Jeep 17 January 9th 07 02:39 AM
uneven tire wear Tonyrama Mazda 3 October 7th 06 03:22 PM
Uneven Rear tire Wear - 89 Dodge Caravan Dodge 1 August 22nd 06 07:36 PM
Uneven brakes [email protected] Technology 0 March 9th 06 07:14 AM
Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear Anit Patel Audi 9 November 7th 04 06:19 PM