will not idle when first started, motor dies. 1998 Sport SOHC 4

Old January 4th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default will not idle when first started, motor dies. 1998 Sport SOHC 4

The motor starts but dies if you do not hold the gas petal down. This
has happened twice in about 5 weeks. I can get the car to start and
run normal if I start the car and hold down the petal so the engine is
running 1500 to 2000 RPM. After a moment of running the engine above
idle the engine will idle normal. I wonder what I need to clean or
replace to correct this problem. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Everett
Old January 4th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ah yes, the classic IAC problem. You will need to clean out your IAC
valve. It sits on top of the intake manifold. You will need to remove
the SOHC plastic shroud to get to it. Held in with 2 bolts and an
electrical connector. Spray it with some solvent like WD 40.
If it still gives you problems, might be time for a new one.

Old January 4th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Where is the IAC on the OHV - 6 (1995)?

oups.com...

Old January 4th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I think it should be mounted on the throttle body close to the intake
manifold.On all Fords it's pretty much on or close to the intake
manifold.
The link below is for the SOHC engine, but it will show you what the
IAC looks like:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_IAC_Fix.html

Old January 4th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On 4 Jan 2006 01:38:31 -0800, "Mikepier" >
wrote:

>I think it should be mounted on the throttle body close to the intake
>manifold.On all Fords it's pretty much on or close to the intake
>manifold.
>The link below is for the SOHC engine, but it will show you what the
>IAC looks like:
>http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_IAC_Fix.html

\

Thanks everyone. This is the information that I need.

Happy New Year

Everett