Oil Leaking from Distributor and Starter on '89 YJ

Old July 26th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
BSartist

Default Oil Leaking from Distributor and Starter on '89 YJ

I just bought a used '89 YJ. The engine was replaced and is supposedly
not that old.

I have beed dripping some oil after I park and have been investigating
the leak. I went through the usual recommenations of checking valve
cover gaskets, back of the head etc.

I have definitely found one leak - at the base of the distributor. From
what I have researched, I need to change my oil pump.

What's puzzling me though is that I find oil weeping out of a hole in
the bottom of my starter - and also possibly out from under where the
started mates with the bell housing dust cover (or whatever that flat
metal plate that covers the bell housing is called). Could this be a
blown rear main seal and oil is getting into the bell housing and then
out through the starter?

There is no oil coming out IN FRONT of the bell housing up where the u
shaped end of the oil pan is.

Bill Smith

Old July 26th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

BSartist wrote:
> I just bought a used '89 YJ. The engine was replaced and is supposedly
> not that old.
>
> I have beed dripping some oil after I park and have been investigating
> the leak. I went through the usual recommenations of checking valve
> cover gaskets, back of the head etc.
>
> I have definitely found one leak - at the base of the distributor.
> From what I have researched, I need to change my oil pump.

4.0? IF so then all you need is a new gasket, or someone horked on
the holddown bolt too tight. Check the inside of the distributor for
oil. If you find it there then you need a new distributor or will have
to rebuild the bushings. It's easier and lasts longer with a new or
rebuilt one.
http://revbeergoggles.com/distributor/

> What's puzzling me though is that I find oil weeping out of a hole in
> the bottom of my starter - and also possibly out from under where the
> started mates with the bell housing dust cover (or whatever that flat
> metal plate that covers the bell housing is called). Could this be a
> blown rear main seal and oil is getting into the bell housing and then
> out through the starter?

The rear main seal isn't that likely. Check behind the valve cover.
Give it a good wipe then come back a day later and check. The I6 is
notorious for leaking at the back of the valve cover and doing a damn
good impression of a rear main leak.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 27th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
BSartist

Doung thanx. I read all about the back of the valve cover deal and went
through all that already. And from what I understand, that would have
the oil showing up near the rear of the oil pan which it's not.

And I wiped everything down and then let the engine run without driving
so I didn't confuse things with oil being blown back. It seems to seep
straight out of the little hole in the bottom of the started and under
the lower mounting bolt.

As far as the distributor. I thought that there shouldn't be oil coming
up that shaft at all unless the seals on the oil pump were shot.

Bill

I seems to ooze straight down

Old July 27th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

BSartist wrote:
> Doung thanx. I read all about the back of the valve cover deal and
> went through all that already. And from what I understand, that would
> have the oil showing up near the rear of the oil pan which it's not.

I've got an oil drip that travels down the valve cover and runs down the
side of the engine. Fix it every now and then with some cleaner
and a skim coat of rtv. One of these days I'll actually re-do the gasket.

> And I wiped everything down and then let the engine run without
> driving so I didn't confuse things with oil being blown back. It
> seems to seep straight out of the little hole in the bottom of the
> started and under the lower mounting bolt.

Might want to drop the starter and have a look. One of those bolts might
be like my old chevy and actually go into the block enough to weep oil.

Plus you would be able to see the flywheel and check if it has oil
buildup.

> As far as the distributor. I thought that there shouldn't be oil
> coming up that shaft at all unless the seals on the oil pump were
> shot.

Bushings in the distributor shaft are supposed to keep the oil out.
Not that it couldn't be the oil pump seals, but usually bad pump
seals = low oil pressure. There is another seal that is part of the
distributor just between the oil pump and the camshaft pump gear.

--
DougW

Old July 28th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

I do the same thing . The tappit cover leaks. I just dab it with rtv.
Once in a while. It leaves oil marks every where i go. But i tell every
one that bitches she's marking her territory. Some day I'll fix it
right.

Later Mike