sluggish on start up

Old January 30th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected][_1_]

Default sluggish on start up

2001 jetta 2.0 turbo after initial start up the car runns real rough
for a few minutes then runs great. as normal it had codes indicating
everythin under the hood bad, I replaced plugs and air cleaner and it
ran great for a week then same problem. checked codes again and all
it indicated was misfire on all 4 cylinders. Clear again and seems to
run fine, Has anyone seen this problem before?
Old January 30th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

are you sure that this is a 2.0 turbo engine?
I am thinking a stock 2.0l or 1.8t or ???

posting the DTCs is a good idea so correct answers can be given.
Did you use the correct spark plugs since that could cause problems.
USE THE SAME AS WHAT THE DEALER USES!!!
None of that aftermarket stuff that "fits"!

The 2.0l could have a bad ign coilpack AND they go bad. Test by misting
with water while the engine is running. Or the spark plug wires. Or a
vacuum leak.

The 1.8t could have wiring issues since I doubt that all coils are bad and
then good again.
Coolant Temperature sensor is a known problem too!

Old January 30th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected][_1_]

My mistake it is a 1.8 turbo
Old January 31st 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

try a new fuel pump relay

Old February 2nd 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 29, 11:00*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

> The 1.8t could have wiring issues since I doubt that all coils are bad and
> then good again.

Weeeelllllll.... unlikely............ BUT:

As this is on start-up, could be moisture in these coils causing the
initial misfire condition. Is my dim-and-limited memory correct in
that there was a bad run of these things at some point with hefty
recalls or TSBs? I seem to remember this happening right around this
year, even?

This would about cover the symptoms as on a cool, dry morning perhaps
no problems, but a damp morning perhaps otherwise. And the running
temperature would be hot enough to eliminate the problem after initial
warm-up.

Just a random (mis)firing of neurons....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 3rd 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Well I don't see too many 1.8t engines with problems. I think I have had to
change one ign coil on a 2004 Passat, but the other 7-8 that I work on have
not had any of these types of problems. Well I did have to replace the ign
module on an early 1999 (lost #2 spark).

I don't see the moisture affect these types of coils! BUT maybe so. ;-)

Coolant temperature sensor, MAF sensor, spark plugs or ????
OP should look here for more troubleshooting ideas
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212843
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

> wrote in message
On Jan 29, 11:00 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

> The 1.8t could have wiring issues since I doubt that all coils are bad and
> then good again.

Weeeelllllll.... unlikely............ BUT:

As this is on start-up, could be moisture in these coils causing the
initial misfire condition. Is my dim-and-limited memory correct in
that there was a bad run of these things at some point with hefty
recalls or TSBs? I seem to remember this happening right around this
year, even?

This would about cover the symptoms as on a cool, dry morning perhaps
no problems, but a damp morning perhaps otherwise. And the running
temperature would be hot enough to eliminate the problem after initial
warm-up.

Just a random (mis)firing of neurons....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Sluggish Starting Mel P.[_2_] VW air cooled 2 March 10th 08 10:15 PM
Sluggish Starting Mel P.[_2_] VW air cooled 0 March 10th 08 01:53 AM
Sluggish VW Bora [email protected] VW water cooled 3 February 15th 08 05:08 AM
sluggish 156 throb Alfa Romeo 8 September 27th 05 08:21 PM
sluggish start on my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo ksoyk 4x4 4 July 17th 05 01:46 AM