82 Cabrio charging problem

Old March 8th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected][_1_]

Default 82 Cabrio charging problem

The new alternator is putting out 14 volts while wires disconected
from battery ,and the battery is new but something is preventing the
alternators from charging the battery.

If it sets awhile on start up the center console meter will read 13.5
volts but as soon as the RPMs are kicked up then the meter drops below
12 volts.

Any help would be appreciated
Old March 8th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

You should never disconnect the alt. wires from the battery on a running
engine!!. Seems you have fried the v.regulator/(field)diodes.

SFC

Old March 9th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected][_1_]

Could this this problem developed due to a short in an aftermarket
radio? Who ever installed was very inexperianced to say the least.

I suspected the voltage regulator and will have it replaced instade of
replacing an already remanufactured alternator.

Thanks its always nice to have conformation.

Mario

Old March 9th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

No, a short in the radio or any other device will first blow a fuse. And in
case of no fuse it'll burn a wire and next the car.

SFC

Old March 9th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

If it has a Motorola alternator check the terminals in the plug. Usually
they can get loose and the alternator will not put out enough current. I
sometimes remove that plug and install correct size terminals. 2 big and 1
normal size female terminals.
First I try to clean and squeeze the terminals together to make them
tighter.

AND what SFC says. ;-)

--
later,