2000 Passat what is DTC's P0306?

Old February 2nd 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default 2000 Passat what is DTC's P0306?

Hi

Just had a 200 V6 Passat at the dealer, and this is the report (see below).

I understand the bad plug and Thermostat and leaky gaskets but what is

DTC's P0306?

Thanks

Checked system and found multiple faults in system P1296 Malfunction in
Cooling System, checked and found thermostat stuck open causing malfunction,
also found DTC's P0306 Misfire detected cylinder #6, checked and found worn
spark plug and has oil due to valve cover gasket and chain tensioner gasket
is leaking. Recommend replacing thermostat $503 and spark plugs $227

Valve cover gasket and chain tensioner gaskets covered under powertrain
warranty but repairs take 4-5 day's

Old February 2nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

P0306 is cyl#6 misfire.

Thermostat on a V-6 sucks.
They should throw you a deal for T-belt and water pump with it, T-belt must
be removed to access the thermostat.

Old February 3rd 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Original owner should have a 100K/10year warranty on the engine.
Would it cover the thermostat since AFAIK it is inside of the engine?

Old February 3rd 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

And BTW, I sometimes question what the dealer/others says is wrong.
I know someone that was not getting heat in her 2001 Passat V6. Dealer said
she needed a new thermostat and water pump for $1600 with no guarantee of
heat.
2 Radiator shops said it needed a heater core.
Engine temperature was normal, stayed in the middle after it warmed up with
no overheating or running too cool. I flushed out and bled the heater core
and all is good.

SO IF the dealer does it free then let them do the work.
If they are charging you too much for something.............make sure it
makes sense BEFORE agreeing to the job being done!

Your P0306 issue has been answered I believe.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old February 3rd 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tube Audio[_2_]

thanks for the reply, the car has 76,000 miles, vw recommends a timing belt
at 105,000

sounds like I should I replace the timing belt and water pump? in terms of
the belt should I get the belt kit that Includes: 1) 078 109 119J Timing
Belt 1) 078 109 243R Tensioning Roller 1) 078 109 244H Relay Roller 1) N 017
717 6 8x40mm Hex Socket Head Screw (Proper Torque 7.4 ft lbs.) b) N 010 254
14 10x25mm Head Head Screw ??

also is there a special tool to remove the spark plug wires? I am thinking
of doing the plugs myself.

thinking of having another shop do the work I need to pay for and have vw do
the warranty work.

thanks

Old February 3rd 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default 2000 Passat V6 what is DTC's P0306?

You need to see if VW will warranty that thermostat!
I have a tool to pull the VR6 spark plug wires off of the plugs but I think
I used either a generic spark plug boot puller or another tool when I
replace the plugs on a 1996 Audi V6 engine.
I don't think I needed any tool to pull up the wires on a 1999 Audi V6
engine.

So I am not sure if you need a tool for your 2000 Passat V6 engine.
YES do the plugs yourself but make sure you replace them with VW authorized
plugs. You may want to check what the engine currently has and buy some
identical ones, if you like them. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old February 3rd 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

Unless someone has removed them, each bank should have an orange plastic
puller tool on one of the boot caps.

Old February 4th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Hmmm well someone removed them then. I don't recall seeing one of those!
thanks,
One out of many daves

Old February 4th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tube Audio[_2_]

is FR 7 LDC+ the factory authorized spark plug?

Old February 4th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

VW part # 101-000-035-HJ
NGK brand P/N: BKR6EKUB
VW factory plugs for this engine are made by NGK.