removing turbocharger from 1984 diesel rabbit ?

Old February 14th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Reid Fleming[_2_]

Default removing turbocharger from 1984 diesel rabbit ?

I'm in the process of pulling the header from my 1984 turbo diesel
rabbit to see if it's warped. To do so, according to Bentley, it's
necessary to remove the turbocharger. Great, but HOW THE HECK do
you get those %$&$*%&$% spring clips off ??? Is it possible to do it
without "special tool 3049"? Any hints/tips/tricks from anybody who's
managed to remove/install a turbocharger would be most welcome. Thanks!
Old February 15th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...291210007r6556

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...CTMP=1&LowCt=0

And yet a better price
http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4458

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:08:35 GMT, Reid Fleming

Old February 15th 09, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

Seems expensive for one time use only. I managed to do it with a big screw
driver but there are clever people who made a simple tool with some exhaust
clamps. http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/index.shtml

SFC

"Jim Behning" > schreef in
bericht ...

Old February 15th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:19:33 +0100, "SFC" >
wrote:

>Seems expensive for one time use only. I managed to do it with a big screw
>driver but there are clever people who made a simple tool with some exhaust
>clamps. http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/index.shtml
>
>SFC
>
>"Jim Behning" > schreef in
>bericht ...
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...291210007r6556
>>
>> http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...CTMP=1&LowCt=0
>>
>> And yet a better price
>> http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4458
>>
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:08:35 GMT, Reid Fleming
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in the process of pulling the header from my 1984 turbo diesel
>>>rabbit to see if it's warped. To do so, according to Bentley, it's
>>>necessary to remove the turbocharger. Great, but HOW THE HECK do
>>>you get those %$&$*%&$% spring clips off ??? Is it possible to do it
>>>without "special tool 3049"? Any hints/tips/tricks from anybody who's
>>>managed to remove/install a turbocharger would be most welcome. Thanks!

I made my tool from a couple of pieces of threaded rod (about 1/4"
dia), and two small pieces of unthreaded (large, about 1/2 or 5/8"
dia) rod. Works well.
Old February 15th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4458 (at the bottom)
I thought under $3.00 was very reasonable for a "tool" that would do the
job! ;-)
Good job Jim Behning!

I too used to pop them off with the big screwdriver but reinstalling them
was very tricky to do. I now have one of the expensive tools and lately I
have not used it. lol
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old February 16th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Reid Fleming[_2_]

Thanks, the exhaust-pipe-clamp trick worked just great! We were able to
get the clips off without any problem.

On a side note, does anybody know where I can find a polygon socket to
remove the polygon-headed bolts that hold the turbocharger to the header?

Thanks,
Reid

Old February 17th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:47:47 GMT, Reid Fleming
> wrote:

>Thanks, the exhaust-pipe-clamp trick worked just great! We were able to
>get the clips off without any problem.
>
>On a side note, does anybody know where I can find a polygon socket to
>remove the polygon-headed bolts that hold the turbocharger to the header?
>
>Thanks,
>Reid

The term 'polygon' means 'multi-sided', and doesn't tell me quite what
you are looking for. Are they penta (five sided) for example?

Old February 17th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

"find a polygon socket"
Are you talking about those XZN Tools also called Triple Square tools like
these
http://www.kruztools.com/xzn_tools.htm
Take a picture and post it somewhere for us to see it. You should try to
measure it even with the head of a bolt. ;-)
Try some of the neighborhood auto parts stores like Pep Boys, Murrays, NAPA
or some of the others. They should carry the smaller sizes.

Might have to special order the larger sizes that are usually used for the
cylinder head bolts.
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm (http://www.metalnerd.com/)
http://www.zdmaktools.com/
http://www.baumtools.com/