rear vent window?

Old March 12th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Default rear vent window?

Thanks to a prowler I get to replace the rear vent (quarter) window on
my MK2 Golf. I looked it up and it seems pretty simple. Any advice/
warnings?
Old March 12th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ears wrote:
> Thanks to a prowler I get to replace the rear vent (quarter) window on
> my MK2 Golf. I looked it up and it seems pretty simple. Any advice/
> warnings?

It's just as easy as it looks. You put it in like an old school
windshield with the gasket. Just remove the old, clean up the gasket
real well, put it on the new window, get yourself some cord or wire (I
prefer appx. 16 AWG stranded THHN myself although almost all resources
tell you to use a cord) wrap it in the channel of the gasket that goes
over the body lip, have a helper push the window into place, get inside
the car and grab the ends of the cord/wire and pull the lip of the
gasket inside. Smack it a couple times from outside to seat it well,
clean off the greasy hand prints, et voila.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 14th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ears wrote:
>> Thanks to a prowler I get to replace the rear vent (quarter) window on
>> my MK2 Golf. I looked it up and it seems pretty simple. Any advice/
>> warnings?

> It's just as easy as it looks. You put it in like an old school
> windshield with the gasket. Just remove the old, clean up the gasket
> real well, put it on the new window, get yourself some cord or wire (I
> prefer appx. 16 AWG stranded THHN myself although almost all resources
> tell you to use a cord) wrap it in the channel of the gasket that goes
> over the body lip, have a helper push the window into place, get inside
> the car and grab the ends of the cord/wire and pull the lip of the
> gasket inside. Smack it a couple times from outside to seat it well,
> clean off the greasy hand prints, et voila.
>
> nate

forgot to mention, some soapy water on the gasket makes this work much
smoother. I just use a few drops of regular dish soap in a bucket of
warm water.

nate

Old March 15th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Thanks!