Sick 83 drop-top

Old January 8th 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lastchance 83

Default Sick 83 drop-top

I'm attempting to diagnose and fix a steering column on a 1983
Mustang GLX Conv. w/ tilt no delay. Once I got it apart I could see
that the lock housing was broken in two halves. The extent of the
damage I fear is more than I can fix. I'm not sure what needs to be
replaced and what can be salvaged, besides the housing. After hours of
searching, the parts that I think need to be replaced are near
impossible to find. I'm pretty sure there is not an alternate column
I can use besides an '83. So far I've tracked down a housing($35."Ford
dealership") and a classic parts store near by said they could pull a
column from somewhere.?($135.)Im really hoping on that column it is the
only one I can find. If I'm going to fix the old column I have to
find out how to get the "tilt, joint,bearing,swivel" thing off before I
can think about putting the new housing on. I'm stuck over my head on
what to do, this is my single mode of trans. and the car has already
drained my savings in the six months that I've owned it. Please any!
sugg. would help...

Old January 8th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, lastchance 83 wrote:
> Once I got it apart I could see
> that the lock housing was broken in two halves. The extent of the
> damage I fear is more than I can fix. I'm not sure what needs to be
> replaced and what can be salvaged, besides the housing. After hours of
> searching, the parts that I think need to be replaced are near
> impossible to find.

The only cheap and easy way out of this is to replace the column with one
from the salvage yard. With an '83 you probably can use a wide variety of
columns given that just about every ford product around that time was on
the fox platform.

Because of two theft attempts on an '82 olds I got to replace the
steering column twice on that car. Basically it meant removing a column
from a car at the self serve salvage yard, then I would transfer the lock
cylinder and steering wheel over from the old column and in at least one
case the multifunction switch because the car the column came from was
missing one of the functions. Had to paint the housing on the first one,
second one got lucky and found the right color. It was some years ago,
but they were $50 at the time as I recall.

Anyway, mechanically columns from later years or even fairmonts etc
may be identical. Take a good look at those in later mustangs, they are
probably close enough for anything but trying to be a factory orginal
show car up until airbags went in. It would be a matter of moving over the
parts you need from your existing column. Of course tilt/no tilt columns
are mechanically different, so you'll need to match there. Get to know what
yours is like, how it mounts into the car, size, etc then at the yard
you'll know what to look for.

Old January 8th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lastchance 83

Im going to check out a salvage column right now any sugg. on how to
get that part off? I may have to mix match parts. thanks!

Old January 9th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, lastchance 83 wrote:
> Im going to check out a salvage column right now any sugg. on how to
> get that part off? I may have to mix match parts. thanks!

I've never looked that closely at a fox mustang. In general there will be
some bolts under the dash that secure the column and then the coupler to
the steering rack under the hood. A few electrical disconnects.

Just make sure to check out yours first so you'll be able to spot
mounting location differences, electrical differences, and of course the
coupler to the steering rack.

Old January 10th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

agree most cars have some connectors to disconnect, bolts to hold the
steering wheel to the dash, and some kind of connection to the steering rack
under the hood. once everything is loose fish it through the firewall. there
might even be a cover around the hole where the column goes through the
firewall that has to be removed. take pictures of what you are taking apart
or just take the whole column with you when you look for a new steering
column.

I put a tilt/telescopic steering wheel into a car that had none previously
and it worked like a charm. If you are lucky you will find the color you
want.

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article .com>,
> lastchance 83 wrote:
>> Im going to check out a salvage column right now any sugg. on how to
>> get that part off? I may have to mix match parts. thanks!

> I've never looked that closely at a fox mustang. In general there will be
> some bolts under the dash that secure the column and then the coupler to
> the steering rack under the hood. A few electrical disconnects.
>
> Just make sure to check out yours first so you'll be able to spot
> mounting location differences, electrical differences, and of course the
> coupler to the steering rack.

A sick planet equates a sick economy. [email protected] Driving 4 December 29th 06 04:55 AM
Problem With Power Outlet Neil Dodge 5 March 27th 06 07:38 PM
Super idler and drop arms come in 2 flavors? David Gravereaux VW air cooled 2 January 16th 06 06:58 PM
Is a 2" inch drop too much BeverlyOmasta Ford Mustang 3 February 1st 05 12:27 AM
revs drop below idle when clutching in Mach5 Honda 6 September 26th 04 03:09 AM