93 Grand Cherokee Power Window

Old July 12th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 93 Grand Cherokee Power Window

Hi All,
The window went down in the driver door and wont go back up. Power to it
okay.
Is there a web site that shows picks of the regulator, et-al so I can clean
it up? Maybe make it work for a little while longer?
I'll be putting the switch back together as I wait for an answer. Heh.
Thanks all.

Old July 12th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

There a little piece of plastic that breaks the window loose from
the regulator, that take the whole regulator to replace:
http://www.billhughes.com/windregu.jpg

--
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 13th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Bill,
New info. I can hear a 'click' when I activate the switch to go up.
The .jpg you sent is good, but my mechanism is a 'scissor' type affair. I
remember there's a spring loaded arm in there that about took my thumb off a
few years ago when I was messing with something else.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Old July 13th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

The click is the clutch, you should hear that same click when you
bottom out the cable.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 13th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

"D" wrote ...
> Hi All,
> The window went down in the driver door and wont go back up. Power to it
> okay.
> Is there a web site that shows picks of the regulator, et-al so I can clean
> it up? Maybe make it work for a little while longer?
> I'll be putting the switch back together as I wait for an answer. Heh.

Take the door panel off (watch the edges they are very sharp)
then look at the plastic connector that snaps to the power window
switch assembly. Odds are it has come unhooked. The way that
switch works if the motor has power then it has to be the switch
or the connector. The one on my passenger side broke and I had
to put a zip-tie in to hold it on.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 13th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Sorry, I didn't believe you, when you said it was of the scissors
design: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/94ZJwindowRegulator.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 13th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Doug,
Thanks. I have the panel off and the connectors are all on and okay. This
was when I popped the switch assembly apart and 8 little brass rockers fell
out. Heh. Got it back together okay though, after filing the contacts.
So, re-cap. The window's down, I hear a light click inside the door near the
motor when I move the switch. I'm getting ready to pull the scissor out and
see if the window might have overtraveled and gone off the semi-circular
gear.
I'll blow out the motor while I'm at it and see if that helps.
Thanks for any further advice?

Old July 13th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

And an update.
Got the scissor rack out, along with the motor and gear assembly. I remember
this setup now as it about took my thumb off a few years ago when I unbolted
the motor from the housing. There's a powerful spring there.
Anyway, I hooked it all up electrically outside the door and tried it.
Nothing. Tapped on the motor housing and 'poof' it works smoothly and
strongly now.
Any bets on how long it will last now? Hopefully for another month when my
raise kicks in and I can trade the old gal in on an '01 or '02. She's
getting to be too much for me.
Thanks all for your help and support.

Old July 13th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You are describing either gummed up or worn out brushes in the motor.

You 'might' be able to open it and hit up a (starter) motor rebuilder
for a set of brushes. That's what I do when my starter acts like that.
(needing a hit to set the brushes again) My XJ starter's brush pack set
me back about $15.00 if I remember right.

Or you could be lucky and only need some WD40 to clean out the dust that
mixed with the grease to gum up the brushes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 13th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

If it is crud in there, I would recommend using the electrical contact spray
cleaner. Car-Quest has one here that is called extra strength, and it works
great. I was sold on it after using it to clean a blower motor on a
commercial deep fryer. Many years of dust and grease came clean with no
effort at all. I'm sure most of the spray cleaners are about the same, but I
know this stuff worked great.

Chris