Identification of General Motors V8 small block engines.

Old August 15th 18, 01:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George[_17_]

Default Identification of General Motors V8 small block engines.

When I was working in the Middle East I bought 2 Corvettes and as I had contacts with a car breakers Yard and they could not pay me for work I did, several times they took old Chevrolet small block engines out of abandoned or rear damaged cars for me and as I had free shipping too. I sent several of these back to UK. I had to sell the 1970 350 Corvette to pay my bills as well as a lot of other stuff that I hoped would make my retirement a bit more bearable. I now have 5 or 6 small block engines some literally as taken out of cars to others dismantled complete in packing cases. I would like to turn these into money but I do not know how to identify them. Is the full identity of an engine available from the serial number and if so where is it? I also have two Cadillac engines one is from a 1979 Diesel. Yes that is correct a 5.7 litre diesel V8 together with the automatic transmission. I do not think it was very successful, with no turbo or super-charger!

A friend of mine had a Cadillac that had petrol injection and that caught fire and so he bought a diesel car to prevent that happening again, but he gave the car to me and I used the back axle to make a heavy duty trailer, in which I sent a big stationary engine back to UK, and which I am still using. The other is,- I think from a big Oldsmobile which had a big block engine which looked exactly like the 8.2 litre I had in my Cadillac 1972(?) Limo, so I saved this too, but again I need to find the exact parameters of this engine to find the right customer. I did think of making a sort of Hot Rod for it but it used to get about 10 MPG so it probably would be a bit expensive to run in UK! I live in Norfolk and some of the roads are a bit narrow too.

Does anyone know the answer to the above question about identifying these engines.

Thanks and regards George.
Old August 21st 18, 01:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
unclevito

On 8/15/2018 5:05 AM, George wrote:
> When I was working in the Middle East I bought 2 Corvettes and as I had contacts with a car breakers Yard and they could not pay me for work I did, several times they took old Chevrolet small block engines out of abandoned or rear damaged cars for me and as I had free shipping too. I sent several of these back to UK. I had to sell the 1970 350 Corvette to pay my bills as well as a lot of other stuff that I hoped would make my retirement a bit more bearable. I now have 5 or 6 small block engines some literally as taken out of cars to others dismantled complete in packing cases. I would like to turn these into money but I do not know how to identify them. Is the full identity of an engine available from the serial number and if so where is it? I also have two Cadillac engines one is from a 1979 Diesel. Yes that is correct a 5.7 litre diesel V8 together with the automatic transmission. I do not think it was very successful, with no turbo or super-charger!
>
> A friend of mine had a Cadillac that had petrol injection and that caught fire and so he bought a diesel car to prevent that happening again, but he gave the car to me and I used the back axle to make a heavy duty trailer, in which I sent a big stationary engine back to UK, and which I am still using. The other is,- I think from a big Oldsmobile which had a big block engine which looked exactly like the 8.2 litre I had in my Cadillac 1972(?) Limo, so I saved this too, but again I need to find the exact parameters of this engine to find the right customer. I did think of making a sort of Hot Rod for it but it used to get about 10 MPG so it probably would be a bit expensive to run in UK! I live in Norfolk and some of the roads are a bit narrow too.
>
> Does anyone know the answer to the above question about identifying these engines.
>
> Thanks and regards George.

Engines are generally all stamped on a machined pad. A letter code
tells more information about the engine. Castings and components may
have date codes that tell the approximate date of mfg and model year car
it was from. Buy a book or go to hobby sites (Oldsmobile clubs) to
find out info from the engine pad stamping number. The 5.7L diesel was
garbage. Injection pump likely has failed. Very common.

Most Chevy small blocks are not really desirable anymore. The LS
engines have replaced them