Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Old July 16th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Default Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Jim Behning wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:26:23 -0400, Mike Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Jim Behning wrote:
>>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:58:57 +0100, "caroline"

>>> VW in my mind

>> "In my mind"? How 'bout trying "in reality" for a while. The Passat is
>> made by VWAG, in Emden and Zwickau, in plants where (AFAIK) no Audis are
>> made.

> I wonder if this article takes things out of my mind and in to
> reality? http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/447927.cms
> VW has made cars in various plants scattered about the world. They
> even made Rabbits and Golfs in Pennsylvania for a few years.

No duh. But what you *said* was that "the Passat is made by Audi".
That statement is false. And the article you cited doesn't even address
the issue; it talks about cars to be built by *Skoda*. Why can't you
just admit you were wrong?

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:
> On Jul 15, 4:35 pm, Mike Smith >
> wrote:
>> Sal wrote:
>>> My 400 BHP+ stat for a THEORETICAL 2008 Passat W8 Six Speed Sport is
>>> based on the fact that the V6 Passat jumped from 190 BHP to 280BHP and
>>> 300 BHP for the V6 and V6 R36 from last generation to this generation.
>>> 400-430BHP and a 200 to 205 MPH top speed are VERY GOOD ESTIMATES for
>>> what the W8 would be doing with the governor removed if it was still
>>> around.

>> Math isn't your strong suit, is it? The B5 Passat's 2.8L V6 made 190
>> HP. That's about 68 HP/L. Multiply that by the W8's 4.0L and you
>> get... 271 HP, which is pretty damn close to VW's rating of 270 HP. So
>> where the hell do you get 400 HP? (Apart from your delusional fanboy
>> fantasies, I mean.)
>>
>> --
>> Mike Smith

> I was talking about a THEORETICAL 2008 W8.

In other words, more of your delusions.

> Seeing that the Passat B5.5 V6 BHP was just 190, but the Passat B6 V6
> BHP was 280 it's reasonable to think that if a 2008 W8 was still
> around, it would have 400+ BHP.

The 3.6L in the PQ46 makes 280 HP, or about 78 HP/L. A 400 HP engine
would have to over 5.0L at that rate, rather large for the Passat which
is now basically a stretched Jetta. Also, the W8 was designed for
longitudinal-engine applications, as was the 2.8L V6, and wouldn't work
well in the Passat's current transverse-engine configuration, even if it
could fit.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Default Unamazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Sal wrote:
> On Jul 15, 4:41 pm, Mike Smith >
> wrote:
>> Sal wrote:
>>> Oh, really, what's the fuel economy of a Corvette?

>> 20 city, 29 highway - better than even a V6 B5 Passat, never mind a W8.
>> Why don't you check your ****ing facts before your embarrass yourself
>> even further?
>>
>> > What's the
>> > Corvette's Drag Coefficient?

>> Who the **** cares? Design parameters don't count; measured results are
>> what counts.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Smith

> B5 1.8T Manual is 31 MPG highway, B6 2.0T Manual is 29 MPG(under the
> NEW guidlines).

So now you're comparing a 170 HP or 200 HP Passat, which can't crack
0-60 in less than 7 seconds, to a ****ing Corvette? Give it up already.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:
> I'm sure that the top speed is still shockingly low for the power
> given the Corvette's horrible horsepower to top speed ratio.

I'm sure it still blows the doors off any Passat ever built.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

Sal wrote:
> On Jul 15, 5:39 pm, db wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:32:55 -0700, Sal >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> American cars SUCK. Here are the top 18 GPS Confirmed Speedo pics from
>>> speed demons from around the world on Highways and Tracks. NOT ONE OF
>>> THEM is an American car.
>>> If Corvettes are so good PROVE it. Make it into the top 10 and POST a
>>> pic on the need for speed website PROVING how good American Cars are.
>>> THEY SUCK and are technologically inferior and that's why none of them
>>> are in the top 18.

>> What is your definition of not sucking ? If I bought any of the
>> cars you listed, if it needs a repair, where can it be repaired? And
>> if it needs parts, where do I get them?
>>
>> From what I've read the Z06 has been rated as one of the best bang for
>> the buck. I think best is a broad statement... best in what, speed,
>> performance, price, reliability and so for. And I'm no car expert
>> but I think where a car is to be used has a lot to do with how it will
>> perform (elevations, weather, etc..).

> WRX STI is a lot better bang for your buck, as is VW GTI.
> Also, with mods, they can do 335-350 km/h just for the price of a base
> Corvette.
> HPA Golfs that cost less than a base Corvette can outperform and
> outrun a Corvette SS.

Whoa!

There isn't a Corvette SS. TTBOMK there are
mules. None of which have completed emission
control cert in a production configuration.

You're comparing apples with oranges. As
soon as you talk mod, you've entered the
'off-road' game in this country.

You seem to talk 'slightly modded' German
iron in comparison with a base 'vette. Me
thinks you want your favorites to always run
on a downhill track, with a tailwind.

So, here's what I'd suggest. Take a hard
look at your class schedule for this fall.
Make sure you'll gain some credits in Logic
101 and Critical Thinking 102.

--
pj
Old July 16th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:
> American cars SUCK. Here are the top 18 GPS Confirmed Speedo pics from
> speed demons from around the world on Highways and Tracks. NOT ONE OF
> THEM is an American car.

How many of those cars are available for under $50,000?

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

This is Jeremy Clarkson. He's not some kid. He's basically the world's
foremost expert on driving performance production cars at their
limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson

On Jul 15, 4:54 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses <after-dark-

Old July 16th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:51:31 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Jim Behning wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:26:23 -0400, Mike Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> "In my mind"? How 'bout trying "in reality" for a while. The Passat is
>>> made by VWAG, in Emden and Zwickau, in plants where (AFAIK) no Audis are
>>> made.

>> I wonder if this article takes things out of my mind and in to
>> reality? http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/447927.cms
>> VW has made cars in various plants scattered about the world. They
>> even made Rabbits and Golfs in Pennsylvania for a few years.

>No duh. But what you *said* was that "the Passat is made by Audi".
>That statement is false. And the article you cited doesn't even address
>the issue; it talks about cars to be built by *Skoda*. Why can't you
>just admit you were wrong?

I did not state I was right or wrong. What I suggested is that I
doubt that the plant workers wear a VW hat one day, a Skoda hat
another day and a Audi hat another day. The badge on the car might
change but who assembles the car does not. So is the question "What is
the definition of make?" Does make means engineered or does make mean
assembled?

So answer me this, who make the the Toyota Corrolla and the Pontiac
Vibe? They roll off the same assembly line in California.
Old July 16th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

First of all that's a 2008 car while the Passat W8 is a 2002 car.
That being said, for the price of that car, you could easily achieve a
higher top speed than that corvette by installing a powerful
supercharger, cold air intake, performance exhaust, chip tuning with
110 octane program, and hell for the price of that corvette, you could
also throw in a HPA GOLF V transmission in there for that price, and
EASILY beat that corvette.
This video shows an OLD Passat V6 as old as a C4 Corvette. For th same
price as a C4 Corvette this Passat can do 200 MPH+. Now that was a 135
MPH car so imagine what a 2002 174 MPH stock car like the W8 would do
with those kind of mods? If the 2008 W8 existed, it would do 200 MPH
STOCK, and with mods to equal the price of that highly modified
Corvette, it could do 256 MPH.

Old July 16th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Sarah Czepiel

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:33:44 -0700, Sal >
wrote:

Look Sweetie, I know you're a bored college freshman on summer break
but why don't you grab a chair, turn on your game console and do all
the gaming you want and leave us alone? We don't care what you think
of Corvettes. Really.

Thanks.

:>First of all that's a 2008 car while the Passat W8 is a 2002 car.
:>That being said, for the price of that car, you could easily achieve a
:>higher top speed than that corvette by installing a powerful
:>supercharger, cold air intake, performance exhaust, chip tuning with
:>110 octane program, and hell for the price of that corvette, you could
:>also throw in a HPA GOLF V transmission in there for that price, and
:>EASILY beat that corvette.
:>This video shows an OLD Passat V6 as old as a C4 Corvette. For th same
:>price as a C4 Corvette this Passat can do 200 MPH+. Now that was a 135
:>MPH car so imagine what a 2002 174 MPH stock car like the W8 would do
:>with those kind of mods? If the 2008 W8 existed, it would do 200 MPH
:>STOCK, and with mods to equal the price of that highly modified
:>Corvette, it could do 256 MPH.
:>
:>
:>
:>On Jul 16, 12:58 am, Mike Smith >
:>wrote:
:>> Sal wrote:
:>> > I'm sure that the top speed is still shockingly low for the power
:>> > given the Corvette's horrible horsepower to top speed ratio.
:>>
:>> I'm sure it still blows the doors off any Passat ever built.
:>>
:>> --
:>> Mike Smith
:>