Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Old July 16th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Sarah Czepiel

Default Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:20:03 -0700, Sal >
wrote:

:>This is Jeremy Clarkson. He's not some kid. He's basically the world's
:>foremost expert on driving performance production cars at their
:>limits.
:>
:>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson
:>

Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear are jokes. Go back to playing your
silly video games.

Anti-American remarks

Throughout Top Gear, Clarkson has made Anti-American remarks, often
stereotyping Americans as fat and dull-witted. For example, in
September 2005 Clarkson wrote an editorial for The Sun: "Most
Americans barely have the brains to walk on their back legs".[41] He
has also said on Top Gear when comparing a rural British village with
a rural American village that "In rural America, the town would be
full of people doing… whatever it is they do. Incest, mostly".[42]

Allegations of bigotry
In October 1998 Hyundai Motor Company complained to the BBC about what
they described as "bigoted and racist" comments he made at the
Birmingham Motor Show, where he was reported as saying that the people
working on the Hyundai stand had "eaten a dog" (due to the fact that
Koreans are known for their consumption of dogs), and that the
designer of the Hyundai XG had probably eaten a spaniel for his lunch.
He also allegedly referred to those working on the BMW stand as
"Nazis".

Allegations of homophobia
In July 2006 Clarkson attracted complaints after agreeing with a Top
Gear audience member that a featured car was a bit "gay" or "ginger
beer" (rhyming slang for "queer"). The complainants felt that the
presenter was using the word pejoratively. In December 2006 the BBC
ruled that his remarks had the potential to offend and should not have
been broadcast.[44]

When presenting a programme about the Colossus computer Clarkson
expressed disdain about Alan Turing being driven to suicide after
being convicted of committing homosexual acts.

From 2000 to 2006 Clarkson had a public feud with Piers Morgan which
began when Morgan published pictures of Clarkson kissing his BBC
producer, Elaine Bedel.[46] On the final Concorde flight Clarkson
threw a glass of water over Morgan during an argument.

In March 2004 at the British Press Awards, he cursed at Piers Morgan
and punched him. Morgan says it has left him with a scar above his
left eyebrow. Clarkson has always denied this. In 2006 Morgan revealed
that the feud was over, saying "There should always be a moment when
you finally down cudgels, kiss and make up."

Top Gear
In February 2004 while filming Top Gear, Clarkson rammed a 30-year-old
horse chestnut tree with a Toyota Hilux pickup truck to demonstrate
how rugged the vehicle was. This led to the BBC having to compensate
the local parish council who, until they saw the Top Gear broadcast,
thought that the damage had been caused by local vandals.

:>On Jul 15, 4:54 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses <after-dark-
> wrote:
:>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 09:12:40 -0700, Sal > wrote
:>> something wonderfully witty:
:>>
:>> >Have you seen the list of the top 18 Fastest Cars on the needforspeed
:>> >website all of the were European?
:>> >There are plenty of VAG cars like the Audi TT Bimoto on there and not
:>> >even one American car was fast enough to make the top 18. Here are
:>> >just a few of the Volkswagen Auto Group cars on there that were 200 MPH
:>> >+
:>>
:>> What the hell does a Video game have to do with reality? If it ain't
:>> parked in your driveway, it ain't ****.
:>>
:>> >Why would VAG cars go to some race where gocarts like Corvettes are
:>> >racing when they can race with the big boys instead? Jeremy Clarkson
:>> >from Top Gear has driven thousands of the best and fastest cars in the
:>> >world and he knows that American Cars SUCK, his opinion is very
:>> >educated as he's actually driven thousands of cars and their limits
:>> >and compared them all.
:>>
:>> And he's what 12?
:>>
:>> --
:>>
:>> "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
:>> illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
:>> which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
:>

Old July 16th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Jim Behning wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:51:31 -0400, Mike Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Jim Behning wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:26:23 -0400, Mike Smith

>>> I wonder if this article takes things out of my mind and in to
>>> reality? http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/447927.cms
>>> VW has made cars in various plants scattered about the world. They
>>> even made Rabbits and Golfs in Pennsylvania for a few years.

>> No duh. But what you *said* was that "the Passat is made by Audi".
>> That statement is false. And the article you cited doesn't even address
>> the issue; it talks about cars to be built by *Skoda*. Why can't you
>> just admit you were wrong?

> I did not state I was right or wrong. What I suggested is that I
> doubt that the plant workers wear a VW hat one day, a Skoda hat
> another day and a Audi hat another day. The badge on the car might
> change but who assembles the car does not. So is the question "What is
> the definition of make?" Does make means engineered or does make mean
> assembled?

<sigh> Regardless of the answers to any of the above, *Audi does not
manufacture the Passat*. Yes, there is a lot of platform sharing in the
VWAG family, but the simple fact remains that *Audi does not manufacture
the Passat*. Boy, it must really be bothering you to be wrong about
this, huh?

> So answer me this, who make the the Toyota Corrolla and the Pontiac
> Vibe? They roll off the same assembly line in California.

Both cars are made by NUMMI, a joint venture between GM and Toyota.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that the Passat is manufactured by
VW in VW plants, and *not by Audi*.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Default Unamazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Sal wrote:
> First of all that's a 2008 car while the Passat W8 is a 2002 car.
> That being said, for the price of that car, you could easily achieve a
> higher top speed than that corvette by installing a powerful
> supercharger, cold air intake, performance exhaust, chip tuning with
> 110 octane program, and hell for the price of that corvette, you could
> also throw in a HPA GOLF V transmission in there for that price, and
> EASILY beat that corvette.

Maybe. In a straight line only. Until the engine blew up from being so
overboosted, which I doubt would take very long.

What's this obsession with hypotheticals and what-ifs? Try living in
the real world for a while.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:
> Passat sold 331,414 which was +28.3% in Europe in 2006. It's only
> getting more popular.

And most of those Passats weren't VR6 models, or even 2.0 turbos most
likely.

> The US is NOT the world, only a small part of the world.

I would venture to guess that most if not all of the people involved in
this thread are American.

> The world thinks of Corvettes like it thinks of Jerry Springer.

Their loss. The Corvette has come a *looooong* way since the crappy old
C3s and C4s, and is now a very serious performance contender in the
$45-65K range.

> Name any country where the Corvette sold close to that.

That's a stupid question. (No surprise, coming from you.) That's like
asking whether more VWs or more Porsches are sold in Europe. *Duh*.
Obviously a family car is going to outsell a 2-seater performance coupe.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:

> That's the kind of attitude that's sadly going to make China the
> world's lone HYPERpower and the USA a hasbeen like the British and
> Roman Empires. I hope that this kind of attitude is rare in the rest
> of the US because thankfully it's rare in my part of the country
> especially among my classmates at college.

If China builds its cars (look up Brilliance and their stellar crash
test results) anything like the way they manufacture wheat gluten,
toothpaste, or steamed pork buns (i.e. counterfeit and full of
potentially lethal substances), well, then you'll forgive me for not
being exactly worried about China becoming anything but a worldwide
joke. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap crap? Then it was
"Made in Taiwan"? Well, now it's "Made in China", apparently.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Mike Smith

Sal wrote:

> My answer may have been incorrect as I'm not sure if the GTI W12 Twin
> Turbo will go into production.

Gee, ya *THINK*? What *ever* made you think that a chopped-up *******
abomination like that was ever going to be anything but a one-off?
Anyone with half a brain could've told you that. But you're so wrapped
up in your little fantasy world that you couldn't the blatantly obvious.
Grow up, dude.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 16th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

I don't know why my video didn't show up. This is a B4 V6 Passat which
is of comprable age to the C4 Corvette.
Now this is a 135 MPH V6 Passat modified into a 200 MPH car for less
than the total price of a C4 Corvette.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...5600b1b687.htm
The 2002 Passat W8 can easily be modified into a 210-225 MPH car.
If there was a 2008 Passat W8, it would do 200 MPH STOCK, and could be
modified into a 255-260MPH car easily for less than the price of the
upcoming Corvette SS.

Old July 16th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

Maybe it would be a W10, but if the sucessor of the Passat W8 was
still around in 2008 it would have 400+ BHP.
The 2002 W8 always had 50% more horsepower than the V6 Passats.
The 2008 Passat V6 has 280BHP, and the 2008 V6 Passat R36 has 300 BHP
thus even 400 BHP would be a lowball estimate for a 2008 Passat W8.
Volkswagen can put a 650BHP TWIN TURBO W12 Monster Engine in a GTI so
a 400+ BHP engine in a Passat would be no problem.

Old July 16th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

None of them, but the BEST bang for your buck car is NOT the Corvette
either.
GTIs outperform Corvettes at every price point.
For instance even a poor man can buy a GTI that can beat a Mclaren F1
for a reasonable price.
This is a few year OLD HPA Tuned GTI that does 0-60 in 3.1something
and 1/4 mile in 11.0, 333 km/h VMAX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7EPZWFNPq4

Newer ones are EVEN FASTER. The eat similarly priced Corvettes for
BREAKFAST at the track.

Old July 16th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

The 11.0 second HPA Golf R32 costs $54,000.
BTW, when I say EVERY price Point, I mean EVERY price Point.
If you got the money you can get a 1000BHP GTI like this and thanks to
All Wheel Drive it can actually use that power where a 1000 BHP
Corvette will just spin its wheels going nowhere and cost TONS more
than the GTI on top of that.
I don't know how much this 1000BHP GTI costs, but it's probably less
than $100,000

EVOs, GTIs, and even old RX7s and Supras are FAR FAR faster cars than
Corvettes at the same price points.
If you want a car that's NOT the fastest at its price, it's better to
get a Porsche Cayman or Boxter instead of a Corvette.
A Cayman is a FAR more impressive looking car and is a far better
chick magnet than a Corvette anyway and has a far more high class and
noble bloodline.

http://www.2fastlane.com/showvideo.php?id=88