Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Old July 14th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

Default Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

Sal wrote:
> 270 BHP 2002 Passat W8 Six Speed Top Speed Run
>
> http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...5501749960.htm
>
> 2002 405 BHP Corvette ZO6
>
> http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...a1d7a94dfe.htm
>

> This goes to show you the INCREDIBLE superiority of German Engineering
> over American Engineering when a BONE STOCK Passat W8 has a higher top
> speed than a Stock C5 ZO6.
>
> The Passat W8 is the Cousin of the Legendary Bugatti Veyron W16 after
> all.
>
> Passat has much better gearing ratios and a 0.27 drag coefficient.
>
> According to the top speed calculator, the 2002 Passat W8 only needs
> 411 BHP to reach 200 MPH, a Corvette would need at leas 550 BHP or
> more.

Getting real from the top of the thread:

Having sired kids that drove Beetles, a Golf
and a GTI I've been around the VW hype.

Now I see that generation of folk inside
their Passats as daily drivers. I don't see
VWs cars going really fast--like in open road
events.

If these things are so damn fast, why aren't
the guys/gals who like to go fast buying them
and driving them?

Just for grins, I looked back over the last 5
years of Nevada open-road speed challenges.
Lots of finishers each year. Plenty of
Corvettes, Porsches & Vipers. Fair
representation of Panteras, Lamborghini's and
Ferraris -- some BMWs and an occasional Audi
or Mercedes. But, for the most part, the
products of the much vaunted VW engineering
stay home. When they do appear, it's only in
the lower speed classes. Perhaps scared off
by the presence of GM cars like a Cadillac
CTS-V or a 1965 Corvair. <g>

< http://www.sscc.us/results-entry.htm >

One lonely VW, a Golf R32, finished in the
2004 and 2005 events. (115 mph and 125 mph
respectively.) No VW appearance in 2006.

Where are the rest of those hot VW products?
-- home in the garage, avoiding sunburn and
the rigors of open road at speeds above 140 mph.

So Sal, when you buy your VW, make a post
here -- I'll meet you in Ely. Blue C5 --
briefly view the gold plating around the
exhaust tips!

Meanwhile, for the folk over in the
vw.watercooled group. Don't be 'fraid--come
on out and play. See y'all in Ely--2008!

--
pj
Old July 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Z’RiX

"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message
news
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Z’RiX wrote:
>

>>I guess I would just like to end this saying 2 things
>>1st quit dissing the Vette if you don't like the car leave the group and
>>move onto another one, we like them.

> Perhaps you don't know that you have been posting into the VW group
> in addition to the Corvette group.

Yes I know but want to make sure he gets it...

Old July 15th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

Default Unamazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

On Jul 14, 4:33 pm, Sarah Czepiel > wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:52:14 -0700, Sal >
> wrote:
>
> What car do *you* own Sal? What car do *you* drive Sal?

It's a VW, although I never drive it this fast.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29...d/hpa333km.jpg

Old July 15th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Gosh, this computer just beeps every once and awhile.

Sal wrote:
> On Jul 14, 4:33 pm, Sarah Czepiel > wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:52:14 -0700, Sal >
>> wrote:
>>
>> What car do *you* own Sal? What car do *you* drive Sal?

> It's a VW, although I never drive it this fast.
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29...d/hpa333km.jpg

Great, now that we've got that nailed down:

Install a full cage, window net, some harnesses and descent tires. Buy
a fire extinguisher & helmet and, get it on.

--
pj
Old July 15th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

I don't drive that fast, it's my friend who drove his VDUB that fast
on the track.

Old July 15th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Sal wrote:
> The European version of the Passat TDI is listed at 44 MPG highway and

It's a stinking diesel numnuts.

> that's way better than the Camry and Accord Gasoline Electric Hybrids,

They aren't stinking diesels either,

> and lightyears beyond primitive American cars like the Fusion and
> Malibu.

And cost a bunch more then them while stinking up your garage and not
starting in the winter just to remind you how stupid you were for buying
one.

> The Germans are just technologically way more advanced than the
> Americans.

Hardly, just another urban myth. Americans are more innovative. Germans
seem to build more rube-Goldberg engines, hardly very durable. To many
expensive parts that need replacing causes them to get scrapped as junk.

> They made the first jet aircraft,

They also made the first one to get shot down by American fighters.
Seems the Mustangs shot a lot of german engineering out of the sky, on
their own turf no less!

they made the first ballistic
> missile,

Yep, but America didn't need one at the time, so when it was over, we
just took theirs.

and they made the Mclaren F1's engine back WELL WELL over a
> decade ago and yet it's superior to any production American engine
> even to this day.

Unfortunately the fact remains, the Callaway Corvette went faster with a
more durable engine. And that was done nearly twenty years ago. And the
engine design it was based on still collects engineering awards. So
your claim of "superior" is pretty much a joke.

Yep Sal, you really are a piece of work. Your shoulders must get tired
of holding up your butt cheeks.

Old July 15th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

WOW, you can't even tell the differences between a VDUB Speedo and a
Corvette Speedo?
That is a VDUB Speedo and I'll let you figure out what car it is if
you're smart enough.

On Jul 14, 8:53 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses <after-dark-

Old July 15th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

What what do you expect, a 3500lbs car with a 138 BHP Diesel engine is
not MEANT to be entertaining to drive, it's meant to save money at the
pump. And the Fuel Economy is right SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of the page
under "KEY SPECS", and ofcourse you must have vision problems to think
that it wasn't on the page or that American cars look good.
Here's a screencap for those who couldn't make it to the web site.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29...DIMilage-1.jpg

Old July 15th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
db

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:08:47 -0700, Sal >
wrote:

>Passat sold 331,414 which was +28.3% in Europe in 2006. It's only
>getting more popular.
>The US is NOT the world, only a small part of the world.
>The world thinks of Corvettes like it thinks of Jerry Springer.
>Name any country where the Corvette sold close to that.

There are a lot of reasons why Corvettes will not sell well in other
countries. Europe is NOT the world either so tell me what the Passat
sold elsewhere such as in the US, Japan or China ? With such small
numbers to start with, percentage increases will look large.
Old July 15th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,alt.autos.corvette
Sal

On Jul 14, 8:55 pm, Bob I > wrote:
> Sal wrote:
> > The European version of the Passat TDI is listed at 44 MPG highway and

> It's a stinking diesel numnuts.
>
> > that's way better than the Camry and Accord Gasoline Electric Hybrids,

> They aren't stinking diesels either,
>
> > and lightyears beyond primitive American cars like the Fusion and
> > Malibu.

> And cost a bunch more then them while stinking up your garage and not
> starting in the winter just to remind you how stupid you were for buying
> one.
>
> > The Germans are just technologically way more advanced than the
> > Americans.

> Hardly, just another urban myth. Americans are more innovative. Germans
> seem to build more rube-Goldberg engines, hardly very durable. To many
> expensive parts that need replacing causes them to get scrapped as junk.
>
> > They made the first jet aircraft,

> They also made the first one to get shot down by American fighters.
> Seems the Mustangs shot a lot of german engineering out of the sky, on
> their own turf no less!
>
> they made the first ballistic
>
> > missile,

> Yep, but America didn't need one at the time, so when it was over, we
> just took theirs.
>
> and they made the Mclaren F1's engine back WELL WELL over a
>
> > decade ago and yet it's superior to any production American engine
> > even to this day.

> Unfortunately the fact remains, the Callaway Corvette went faster with a
> more durable engine. And that was done nearly twenty years ago. And the
> engine design it was based on still collects engineering awards. So
> your claim of "superior" is pretty much a joke.

The Callaway Corvette is not considered a production car.
How many Callaway Corvettes were made?
CALLAWAY Corvettes are VERY SLOW as even ELECTRIC cars in the NON-
Production Car Category are faster.
The Thrust SST is also in the Non-Production Car Category to show you
how slow a Callaway Corvette is in ITS CATEGORY. Brinign up the
Callaway Corvette is even stupider than brining up a VDUB like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYrgaSCJIxw