Changing Headlamp Bulbs?

Old April 8th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Default Changing Headlamp Bulbs?

Happy holidays,

Anyone have any helpful suggestions for changing the headlamp bulbs
(both sides) in a '98 Explorer EB AWD vehicle? That is anything besides
"be careful NOT to touch the bulbs with your bare hands".

I opened the access flaps on the shroud, and they do not look easy to
get at, hence my question. My service CD offers little help, other then
rotate the headlamp bulb retainer and remove (pull-out) the bulb.

Thanks,

Steven
Old April 14th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Herb Kauhry

Not that hard, but you need flexible wrists. The CD says it all - it's
exactly that easy.

Old April 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Herb Kauhry wrote:
> Not that hard, but you need flexible wrists. The CD says it all - it's
> exactly that easy.

Wish it were Herb, 'that easy' that is. I opened the flaps, but could
not even see the back of the headlamps. Guess I'll have to perform some
disassembly.

Thanks for your help,

Steven
Old April 14th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Herb Kauhry

Then you either aren't looking in the right spot or are looking for the
wrong thing. It's in plain view, if not direct view, about 5 inches down
and a little aft. There's a dished-out area in the radiator-supporting
front frame into which the back of the lamp intrudes somewhat. The
narrowness makes it an awkward wrist-twist to get positioned so you can turn
it once you get your fingers on it.

Old April 16th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steven Hilgendorf

Herb Kauhry wrote:
> Then you either aren't looking in the right spot or are looking for the
> wrong thing. It's in plain view, if not direct view, about 5 inches down
> and a little aft. There's a dished-out area in the radiator-supporting
> front frame into which the back of the lamp intrudes somewhat. The
> narrowness makes it an awkward wrist-twist to get positioned so you can turn
> it once you get your fingers on it.

I was looking in the right spot, and at the right thing. The darn
things were just tough to get at. I was almost tempted to remove the
battery to get at the drivers side bulb, but I noticed there would still
be a couple bundles of wires in the way. Anyway, I got them changed and
it wasn't easy.

Thanks for your help,

Steven

Headlamp bulbs - -96 LHS Itsfrom Click Chrysler 43 February 6th 07 08:05 AM
changing instrument cluster bulbs- A2 Golf [email protected] VW water cooled 4 July 13th 06 05:11 PM
Changing Light Bulbs bayman2222 Mazda 6 July 4th 06 04:49 PM
Any recommendation for aftermarket headlamp bulbs for 94-97 Accord [email protected] Honda 3 June 3rd 05 04:25 PM
97 Explorer - changing seatbelt, headlight bulbs & keyless entry DearDeva Ford Explorer 6 April 13th 05 07:13 PM