Finding the A/C clutch...

Old June 2nd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Finding the A/C clutch...

Awl--

OK, I'm gonna give this A/C thing a shot, see if the problem really is
electrical by just putting a jump to the A/C clutch.
If I could find it....

I'm assuming I'm looking for something that looks like an idler wheel, with
a belt, with two or more electrical wires coming from it.
Except I don't see any wires!
Nor from the A/C compressor itself.

Mebbe DATS the problem??!! Chopped off wires?? goodgawd....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Old June 2nd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"Proctologically Violated©®"
> wrote:

> Awl--
>
> OK, I'm gonna give this A/C thing a shot, see if the problem really is
> electrical by just putting a jump to the A/C clutch.
> If I could find it....
>
> I'm assuming I'm looking for something that looks like an idler wheel, with
> a belt, with two or more electrical wires coming from it.
> Except I don't see any wires!
> Nor from the A/C compressor itself.
>
> Mebbe DATS the problem??!! Chopped off wires?? goodgawd....

it would make a lot more sense if you told what make, model, year
and engine.
Old June 5th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Proctologically Violated©®" >
wrote in :

> Awl--
>
> OK, I'm gonna give this A/C thing a shot, see if the problem really is
> electrical by just putting a jump to the A/C clutch.
> If I could find it....

Wouldn't you think...the clutch would be on the belt-end of the compressor?

--
Tegger

Old June 5th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Proctologically Violated©®" >
> wrote in :
>
>> Awl--
>>
>> OK, I'm gonna give this A/C thing a shot, see if the problem really is
>> electrical by just putting a jump to the A/C clutch.
>> If I could find it....

> Wouldn't you think...the clutch would be on the belt-end of the
> compressor?

Yeah, but I don't see any wires. The clutch is electrically activated, no?
--
------

Old June 5th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AWN

You may want to start by just jumping the low pressure switch (easily
shorted with a paperclip in a pinch) - it should be dead easy that way. I
put my money on low gas or a bad switch. At least this quick test will let
you know that you are low on refridgerant, have a bad dash switch, or you
need a new pressure switch... or gawd forbid... something worse like a dead
clutch or bad compressor.
If that's of no use to you, I appologize but it has worked for me with every
vehicle I've ever worked on (granted I'm a shadetree at best).
Andrew.

in article , Proctologically Violated©® at

Old June 5th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

"AWN" > wrote in message
> You may want to start by just jumping the low pressure switch (easily
> shorted with a paperclip in a pinch) - it should be dead easy that way. I
> put my money on low gas or a bad switch. At least this quick test will
> let
> you know that you are low on refridgerant, have a bad dash switch, or you
> need a new pressure switch... or gawd forbid... something worse like a
> dead
> clutch or bad compressor.
> If that's of no use to you, I appologize but it has worked for me with
> every
> vehicle I've ever worked on (granted I'm a shadetree at best).

Hey, shadetree's *are* the best!

Shouldn't I be able to find wires at the clutch?
And where would I find the low pressure switch?
And by dash switch, you mean the on/off switch, right?

I have found it pretty difficult to trace some circuits in cars. Worse,
now, w/ boards'n'****.
--
------

Old June 5th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

> Shouldn't I be able to find wires at the clutch?
> And where would I find the low pressure switch?

Well, I re-downloaded over 5000 message headers going back to March 3,
and nowhere did I see you mention what car you're working on, so any help
more detailed than "it's right there" will have to wait for you to spill the beans.

Old June 5th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

"MasterBlaster" > wrote in message
newsub9i.2903$vT6.2872@edtnps90...

>> Shouldn't I be able to find wires at the clutch?
>> And where would I find the low pressure switch?

> Well, I re-downloaded over 5000 message headers going back to March 3,
> and nowhere did I see you mention what car you're working on, so any help
> more detailed than "it's right there" will have to wait for you to spill
> the beans.

Toyoter corolla wagon, 1990, Honda Accord 1991.
Also, for comparison, 1990 mazda 929S, altho that A/C is still working.
But similarly on the 929S, the engine fan has an electrically operated
clutch (I think!), and I can't find the wires on that, either!
--
------

Old June 5th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 2, 8:49 am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
> wrote:
> Awl--
>
> OK, I'm gonna give this A/C thing a shot, see if the problem really is
> electrical by just putting a jump to the A/C clutch.
> If I could find it....
>
> I'm assuming I'm looking for something that looks like an idler wheel, with
> a belt, with two or more electrical wires coming from it.
> Except I don't see any wires!
> Nor from the A/C compressor itself.

On some systems you can see if the clutch is working. The inner part
of the pully is stationary when the clutch is deactivated- you can see
the center part begin to turn when the clutch engages.

Old June 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Proctologically Violated©®" >
wrote in :

> "AWN" > wrote in message
>> You may want to start by just jumping the low pressure switch (easily
>> shorted with a paperclip in a pinch) - it should be dead easy that
>> way. I put my money on low gas or a bad switch. At least this quick
>> test will let
>> you know that you are low on refridgerant, have a bad dash switch, or
>> you need a new pressure switch... or gawd forbid... something worse
>> like a dead
>> clutch or bad compressor.
>> If that's of no use to you, I appologize but it has worked for me
>> with every
>> vehicle I've ever worked on (granted I'm a shadetree at best).

> Hey, shadetree's *are* the best!
>
> Shouldn't I be able to find wires at the clutch?

Why should you? The few I've looked at closely all have the clutch internal
to the compressor and its drive belt pulley. The only wires are those in
the connector block(s) for the compressor itself.

It really helps to have a good shop manual for the car you're working on.
Do you have one?

--
Tegger

finding a short DruG VW water cooled 5 January 5th 06 05:12 AM
1994 Ford Ranger Clutch slipping when hot- clutch has 1000 miles on it. RobertJohnC 4x4 1 November 24th 05 11:43 PM
Finding TDC on 94 accord Matt Honda 2 April 20th 05 07:43 PM
Help finding vehicle Don 4x4 5 October 9th 04 03:51 AM
I need help finding a 67 Firebird. Dexter411 Antique cars 1 July 16th 03 04:11 PM