Gran Turismo 5 in 3840 x 2160 resolution

Old November 19th 08, 10:58 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.autos.simulators,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2
NV55

Default Gran Turismo 5 in 3840 x 2160 resolution

Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next
generation at this event. Both of the presentations, were founded on
the philosophy of “achieving the highest possible quality” held over
the years by Gran Turismo.

One of these, was a time trial competition using Sony’s newest digital
cinema projector, the “SRX-S110”. Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already
in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, providing the highest
resolution possible in today’s TV content. However in this time trial,
the Full HD image was increased to twice the resolution both
vertically and horizontally (4x the surface area), enabling game play
at an ultra high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This was performed
by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3’s outputting a
quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels, but you must remember
this demands an extremely high quality image from the source that can
withstand the ultra high resolution. It can be said that this
demonstration was only made possible, because the source image was
Gran Turismo.

What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest
digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1)
projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a
resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution
image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a
response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of
breathtaking image expression introduced here.

The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on
the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the
time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the
screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2r4tow4.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/winh9y.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dgmhk4.jpg

http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html
Old November 20th 08, 12:55 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.autos.simulators,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2
The alMIGHTY N

On Nov 19, 5:58*pm, NV55 > wrote:
> Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

This basically amounts to one big cock tease since we're never going
to be able to see anything like that in our living rooms...

Old November 20th 08, 03:26 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.autos.simulators,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2
APLer

NV55 > wrote in
:

> Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD
>

> What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest
> digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1)
> projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a
> resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution
> image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a
> response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of
> breathtaking image expression introduced here.
>
> The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on
> the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the
> time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the
> screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.
>

> http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

Yes, yes there's more dots, but what is the dot *pitch*? without that
being in the range of .01 or less, it means nothing.

Old November 20th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"APLer" > wrote in message ...
> NV55 > wrote in
> :
>
> > Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD
> >

> > What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest
> > digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1)
> > projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a
> > resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution
> > image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a
> > response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of
> > breathtaking image expression introduced here.
> >
> > The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on
> > the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the
> > time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the
> > screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.
> >

> > http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

> Yes, yes there's more dots, but what is the dot *pitch*? without that
> being in the range of .01 or less, it means nothing.

The company who produced this screen (FE Technologies) also has a
19" prototype:

http://www.fe-tech.co.jp/en/prototype/prototype.html

Dot pitch is .306 mm. Not bad, not great.

Old November 21st 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

> wrote in :

> "APLer" > wrote in message
>> NV55 > wrote in

>> > http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

>> Yes, yes there's more dots, but what is the dot *pitch*? without that
>> being in the range of .01 or less, it means nothing.

> The company who produced this screen (FE Technologies) also has a
> 19" prototype:
>
> http://www.fe-tech.co.jp/en/prototype/prototype.html
>
> Dot pitch is .306 mm. Not bad, not great.

That's larger than any CRT. Hardly impressive.

Old November 25th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Phil Newnham

APLer wrote:
> NV55 > wrote in
> :
>
>> Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD
>>

>> What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest
>> digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1)
>> projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a
>> resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution
>> image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a
>> response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of
>> breathtaking image expression introduced here.
>>
>> The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on
>> the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the
>> time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the
>> screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.
>>

>> http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

> Yes, yes there's more dots, but what is the dot *pitch*? without that
> being in the range of .01 or less, it means nothing.

On a 220" screen? Surely you won't be able to sit nearly as close to it
and still see anything - what's the typical dot pitch of a screen in a
cinema with a digital projector?

--
Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tmc1979/
Old November 25th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Phil Newnham > wrote in
:

> APLer wrote:
>> NV55 > wrote in
>> :
>> Yes, yes there's more dots, but what is the dot *pitch*? without that
>> being in the range of .01 or less, it means nothing.

> On a 220" screen? Surely you won't be able to sit nearly as close to it
> and still see anything - what's the typical dot pitch of a screen in a
> cinema with a digital projector?

Well the smallest object the human eye can discern is the question of
course. According to the omnipresent wiki in such things, 1.2 arc minutes,
which is about 1/60th of a degree by definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye#Human_consumption

(under Acuity)

If you're watching a movie screen of that size from 3m away - pretty damn
close and pretty close to the a full field of view, .26mm translates as:

arctan(.26/3000)=0.004965634~17.87 arc seconds.

So say 4x the dot pitch is discernable to the human eye. What 24mm film works
out as, I have no Idea.

This also means that if your screen is more than 1m or about 3' away, you're
wasting the resolution as it's too fine for your eyes. (works out to be about 50
arc seconds) With .26 dot pitch that is. My point was that anyone can hook up
multiple screens together to make as big a picture as you want, but unless the
dot pitch is higher, they're no better than the monitor you're looking at now.
Old December 1st 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jonathan Mars

lid wrote:

> The company who produced this screen (FE Technologies) also has a
> 19" prototype:

And it's native res is 1280x960 and it is 4:3. Next!