Netkar Pro has issue with MS FFB wheel

Old January 15th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ichibod

Default Netkar Pro has issue with MS FFB wheel

No matter what controller settings I use in latest Netkar Pro it makes my MS
FFB wheel oscillate. NFG. At least he could have put in an option to turn
off FFB completely but see no such option. Deleted from HDD now.

Old January 16th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

there is a setting in the sidewinder's own control panel, that you can move
to stop that, unfortunately I don't use my sidewinder anymore (for a few
years now), because the software to control the wheel, would NOT install
after windowsXP SP2, which meant if you had the newer XP that probably
shipped with your PC, you were screwed. if you can find XPsp1 install disk,
you could install that old XP, install sidewinder software, then install all
the XP updates, this was totally PITA but I did that for several years, then
I gave up and bought the g25, when it came out.

Old January 17th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"PlowBoy," > wrote in
:

> there is a setting in the sidewinder's own control panel, that you can
> move to stop that, unfortunately I don't use my sidewinder anymore (for
> a few years now), because the software to control the wheel, would NOT
> install after windowsXP SP2, which meant if you had the newer XP that
> probably shipped with your PC, you were screwed. if you can find XPsp1
> install disk, you could install that old XP, install sidewinder
> software, then install all the XP updates, this was totally PITA but I
> did that for several years, then I gave up and bought the g25, when it
> came out.

Wouldn't the drivers be included in XP at that point? Did you try just
plugging the stick in without installing *any* drivers?

Old January 19th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_2_]

The driver isn't there, not the one you need to get to all the adjustments!
What you got, more less, is "generic joystick" driver, that MS left in xp...
The problem is though, that to make the pedals be separate, to adjust the
dynamic settings, like spring tension settings (that the motors "EMULATE")
and the oscillations you see could be negated with dampening settings, and
FORCE settings... all of this required the "Sidewinder Profiler software"
that came on the driver disk, to work. Microsoft officially abandoned the
wheels about the time XPsp2 came out. The quit making them, period. All of
them in the stores were "what was left". BTW, They posted it on the main
website when you tried to find drivers, which were only found on the CD, and
some gracious sites that ISO'd the disk for download...

I have 3 MS sidewinder wheels, here in a box, 2 ff wheels, one red grip
(referred to as version2) on black grip (versio1), and one NON-Force
Feedback wheel. I loved them wheels at the time and had acquired "spare
parts" when they were abandoned by MS, I hoped so I could keep it forever.
But I'm in IT, I have to keep up with Technology, so I allowed myself to get
vista right away, and now testing win7 beta... The wheel was worthless when
I couldn't access the controls for it. IF you have 64 bit version of the
OS's you were doubly screwed.

I was frankly, nervous about paying @300 for the g25, when the sidewinders
were less than 100 back when. But it has freaking been worth it, 3 pedals,
H-shifter, paddles and COMPATABILITY with so far, even Vista and Windows7
beta...

Old January 20th 09, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ichibod

"PlowBoy," > wrote in message
> there is a setting in the sidewinder's own control panel, that you can
> move to stop that, unfortunately I don't use my sidewinder anymore (for a
> few years now), because the software to control the wheel, would NOT
> install after windowsXP SP2, which meant if you had the newer XP that
> probably shipped with your PC, you were screwed. if you can find XPsp1
> install disk, you could install that old XP, install sidewinder software,
> then install all the XP updates, this was totally PITA but I did that for
> several years, then I gave up and bought the g25, when it came out.

I'm using Vista and didn't even attempt to install the drivers because they
were flaky on XP so I assume they are NFG on Vista.

Old January 20th 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ichibod

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
>Microsoft officially abandoned the wheels about the time XPsp2 came out.

They abandoned the wheels even before XP came out. Too ****ing lazy to issue
proper drivers for their own OS for a wheel I bought less than a year before
XP was released, that says a lot about them.

Old January 20th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

you assumed correctly, the only way I had the wheel working OK in vista, was
to clean install XP (pre service pack2) install the profiler/driver. then do
the vista "upgrade option" even then it didn't work correctly as it was
working in XP.
Get the g25, there is a cheaper 2pedal Logitech wheel that most seemed ok
with, the DFpro but honestly the g25 is just pricey enough that most wont
go for it, but you just don't know what you missed... least not as bad as
the much costlier non forcefeedback wheels out there, like the ECCI or the
thomaswheel.

Please note before you bitch me out about the price, I was in your shoes,
but 3 fold. I have bought 6 different "cheap" wheels, plus other fking
joysticks that weren't worth the aggravation. I have had in my hot little
hands, 16 wheels, because the first 4 (models), I had to send in under
warranty 2 or 3 times, or order parts after warranty (one good thing about
ThrustMaster at the time, was the availability of cheap or free updated
parts... that was the Thrustmaster T2 model) that sob would break springs
like junk cars burn fuses... then the next one, the one that burned me the
freaking most, was the Thrustcrapper Nascar Pro wheel, I paid 130 + ship for
that SOB, it was in warranty for a year, they had it (or UPS had the
sonofabitch) 6 of the 12 months that year, I loved to race, so I ended up
buying a second, that way hopefully one would work, the other was in the
"shop" or on the way to the shop. Same thing happened with the Nascar Pro
Digital, that I got... This is beyond the "pot drift, spiking pots, the
special ACM game controller card I bought to attempt to make the GD wheel
turn the car smoothly. By Contrast: That Sidewinder never failed me in 4
years, would seemingly never spike or even fluctuate the calibration, and
knock on wood, this refurbished G25 that I bought has NOT let me down in 3
years...
Some cheap **** is just that... ****.

Old January 20th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"PlowBoy" > wrote in
:

> The driver isn't there, not the one you need to get to all the
> adjustments! What you got, more less, is "generic joystick" driver, that
> MS left in xp... The problem is though, that to make the pedals be
> separate, to adjust the dynamic settings, like spring tension settings
> (that the motors "EMULATE") and the oscillations you see could be
> negated with dampening settings, and FORCE settings... all of this
> required the "Sidewinder Profiler software" that came on the driver
> disk, to work. Microsoft officially abandoned the wheels about the time
> XPsp2 came out. The quit making them, period. All of them in the
> stores were "what was left". BTW, They posted it on the main website
> when you tried to find drivers, which were only found on the CD, and
> some gracious sites that ISO'd the disk for download...
>
> I have 3 MS sidewinder wheels, here in a box, 2 ff wheels, one red grip
> (referred to as version2) on black grip (versio1), and one NON-Force
> Feedback wheel. I loved them wheels at the time and had acquired "spare
> parts" when they were abandoned by MS, I hoped so I could keep it
> forever. But I'm in IT, I have to keep up with Technology, so I allowed
> myself to get vista right away, and now testing win7 beta... The wheel
> was worthless when I couldn't access the controls for it. IF you have
> 64 bit version of the OS's you were doubly screwed.
>
> I was frankly, nervous about paying @300 for the g25, when the
> sidewinders were less than 100 back when. But it has freaking been
> worth it, 3 pedals, H-shifter, paddles and COMPATABILITY with so far,
> even Vista and Windows7 beta...

Well, aside from trying the NT or 200x drivers, there's not much choice I
guess.

Old January 21st 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ichibod

"PlowBoy," > wrote in message
> you assumed correctly, the only way I had the wheel working OK in vista,
> was to clean install XP (pre service pack2) install the profiler/driver.
> then do the vista "upgrade option" even then it didn't work correctly as
> it was working in XP.
> Get the g25, there is a cheaper 2pedal Logitech wheel that most seemed ok
> with, the DFpro but honestly the g25 is just pricey enough that most wont
> go for it, but you just don't know what you missed... least not as bad as
> the much costlier non forcefeedback wheels out there, like the ECCI or the
> thomaswheel.
>
> Please note before you bitch me out about the price,

Why would I bitch at you? I don't even know how much G25 is. My MS FFB wheel
works fine in all my other racing sims with no need to install a driver. It
was only Netkar that gives me the oscillation so Netkar goes and not my
trusty MS FFB wheel that has been doing duty for me for near 8 years now. I
wouldn't mind getting a good non FFB wheel because I often turn off FFB
effects anyway because it hinders me more than makes me faster on the track.
I would like a good non FFB wheel with no center detent too. Know of any
that are readily available? What ever happened to Actlabs wheels?