Noise from front end and steering.

Old July 29th 05, 02:37 AM
gordo

"Steve S." > wrote in message

> I believe he is referring to this part (#2) :
>
> http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...al/T028090.gif
>
> I replaced the same thing on mine. It wasn't rattling but there was some
> slop in the joint. No realignment is necessary since this is only a
> connecting link between the steering column and the rack and pinion.

My steering had no noticeable slop, but only made rattling sounds in slow
cornering situations.
The sound seemed to originate from under the dash or the floorboard.
I crawled all over (and under) the car looking for loose objects or steering
components.
When I replace that part, the rattling sound went away.

Old July 29th 05, 04:51 PM
anonomizer

is it a clicking sort of ratcheting sound on left {sharp left turns} ?
I went through this a few times on my '99 sport {actually, I just had it
fixed yesterday for the 3rd time}, it was the drivers side front hub that
went bad.
3 times in 6 years ???

--
William

Old August 31st 05, 06:01 PM
ART

Just back few hours ago from Ford dealer. I have the same problem ( for 2
months ) as you describe , on a 2002 XLT , 28000 Miles.
When I drive in the morning ( 25 miles ), no noise , everything is correct.
Strangely , I can hear a knocking noise when driving back to home in the
afternoon.It seems like a part of the steering wheel is missing and moving
at low speed and medium speed. It's really annoying , and Ford Dealer has
no solution.

Everything has been checked ( Suspension , transmission , tires , steering
wheel ) and looks normal.

Is there a risk to drive the car ? I'm afraid nobody can answer.

Regards

ART