Where Can I Get a 80-85C Bellows Type Thermostat?

Old April 29th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default Where Can I Get a 80-85C Bellows Type Thermostat?

Where can I get a 80-85C bellows type thermostat?

My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
thermostat.

This is mostly due to me taking short trips.

In moderate and cold weather I want to use a stock F.I. Thermostat.

Thanks In Advance!
Old April 29th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OllieW

On Apr 29, 5:03*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> Where can I get a 80-85C bellows type thermostat?
>
> My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
> thermostat.
>
> This is mostly due to me taking short trips.
>
> In moderate and cold weather I want to use a *stock F.I. Thermostat.
>
> Thanks In Advance!

I think you're just going to have to put a wanted add out on the
Samba, nobody specifically has that temp range thermostat in stock
that I could find.
Old April 29th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I have 2 spare almost new barely used 65-70C bellows thermostats.

I was thinking of painting one of them with hi temp engine paint to
see if it would take a little longer to open.

Agree or disagree I am open to suggestions.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old April 30th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jim Ed" > wrote in message
> Where can I get a 80-85C bellows type thermostat?
>
> My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
> thermostat.
>
> This is mostly due to me taking short trips.
>
> In moderate and cold weather I want to use a stock F.I. Thermostat.
>
> Thanks In Advance!

if your engine is running cold, from short trips, a higher rated thermostat
is not a fix for the problem

Old April 30th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "Jim Ed" > wrote in message
>> Where can I get a 80-85C bellows type thermostat?
>>
>> My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
>> thermostat.
>>
>> This is mostly due to me taking short trips.
>>
>> In moderate and cold weather I want to use a stock F.I. Thermostat.
>>
>> Thanks In Advance!

> if your engine is running cold, from short trips, a higher rated
> thermostat is not a fix for the problem

Agreed. That's just air across your heads and barrels.

If, by chance, you have an external oil cooler, you could try adding a
thermal bypass inline with it. That helped me as I wasn't getting above
155°F on cold days for highway driving due to my cooler being really good.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=ECO0023

Old April 30th 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

Default That is one expensive part

David Gravereaux wrote:
> If, by chance, you have an external oil cooler, you could try adding a
> thermal bypass inline with it. That helped me as I wasn't getting above
> 155°F on cold days for highway driving due to my cooler being really good.
>
> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=ECO0023

$90 for a relatively simple part like an oil thermostat seems like a lot
of money. And it's not like Aircooled.net is selling it for a lot more
than other retailers are. I've never taken the one I have apart but from
what I gathered from the parts salesman I talked to, the part is an
aluminum(?) body with a retaining ring holding a spring and a couple of
valves inside it. If I'm mistaken I would like to hear about it.

When the oil is cold it makes a U-turn path in and out. As the oil warms
up it takes a straight-through path to the external oil cooler and then
out the cooler and back again through the thermostat. The warmth of the
oil is what opens the valve.

I bought mine in 2003 for $48.50 from Bugpack and thought the price was
high then. Now it's 85% more.

I bought an inkjet printer for just under $70 a few years ago and that
is whole lot more complicated than an oil thermostat. I guess economies
of scale has something to do with that.
Old April 30th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> If, by chance, you have an external oil cooler, ... .

No, I do not have one of those.

I only have the stock flaps and thermostat.

Thanks again!

Old May 1st 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
> thermostat.

> In moderate and cold weather I want to use a *stock F.I. Thermostat.

It is very important for the engine to reach operating temperature to
run at peak efficiency.

I think I will try my new style/ 'Mexican Style' thermostat again.

If it warms up that fast, I could re-install the 1.5 quart oil sump
so it will have a more than adequate oil supply going fast around
corners and up steep hills.

Is it true that the VDO cockpit oil temp gauges need to be calibrated
by adding about 30F ?

Old May 3rd 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OllieW

On Apr 30, 5:58*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> > My Type I engine in my 1973 beetle runs cold even with a stock
> > thermostat.
> > In moderate and cold weather I want to use a *stock F.I. Thermostat.

> It is very important for the engine to reach operating temperature to
> run at peak efficiency.
>
> *I think I will try my new style/ 'Mexican Style' thermostat again.
>
> *If it warms up that fast, I could re-install the 1.5 quart oil sump
> so it will have a more than adequate oil supply going fast around
> corners and up steep hills.
>
> Is it true that the VDO cockpit *oil temp gauges need to be calibrated
> by adding about 30F ?

I still find stock thermostat at the swap meets for $5 or $10. I've
even fixed a few broken ones using Bartnik's technique. Last year I
tried a Mexican version and it worked fine too, but I took it back out
since it'll fail in the closed position as opposed to the originals.
Then again, the Mexican one would probably last 20 years without
failing....