I'm back and it's still sitting in my garage...

Old December 16th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella[_2_]

Default I'm back and it's still sitting in my garage... [Clare]

>>> from the ECM by following the directions from www.fordfuelinjection.com,
>>> my
>>> Check Engine light lit dimly, I heard the fuel pump start, I did not
>>> hear
>>> any electronic clicks and after 1.5 minutes, the fuel pump was still
>>> running. (I checked my STI-to-negative terminal connection and tried it
>>> again with the exact same results???
>>>
>>> Do I have a bad TFI module... Not the problem; I removed the TFI
>>> module
>>> and confirmed all of the resistances are within specification.
>>>
>>> Checking TFI module for ground and signal... How?
>>>
>>> Do I have a bad MAF; unplugging the MAF... Didn't help: I unplugged
>>> the
>>> MAF and tried starting the car normally and with a lot of starter fluid
>>> down
>>> the throttle body. In both cases the car behaved just like it did when
>>> the
>>> MAF was plugged in.
>>>
>>> Do I have a bad MAF; swapping the MAF... I have not tried swapping
>>> MAF's.
>>>
>>> Extracting fault codes... When I tried to extract some fault codes
>>> from
>>> the ECM by following the directions from www.fordfuelinjection.com, my
>>> Check
>>> Engine light lit dimly, I heard the fuel pump start, I did not hear any
>>> electronic clicks and after 1.5 minutes, the fuel pump was still
>>> running.
>>> (I
>>> checked my STI-to-negative terminal connection and tried it again with
>>> the
>>> exact same results???
>>>
>>> Do I have bad fuel injectors... I have been told to pull a couple to
>>> see
>>> if they have fouled nozzle tips. This seems easy enough!
>>>
>>> The "NOID" test... I assume the two questions "Are the fuel
>>> injectors
>>> being pulsed?" and "Are the fuel injectors being triggered?" are asking
>>> the
>>> same thing. I have been told to put a set of "NOID" lights in place of
>>> the
>>> injectors on the wiring harness and make sure they flash. Do I have to
>>> check all eight fuel injectors?
>>>
>>> Do I have a bad fuel pressure regulator... I have done nothing with
>>> respect to the fuel pressure regulator.

Cla FIRST thing to check is "do you have 12 volts to the injectors"
------------------
Joe: I have 12 volts between one side of the injector connector and battery
positive.
============
Cla You may have 12 volts on both sides. If so, when you crank the engine
over, one side should "flash" as the control side is pulled to ground to
fire the injector. If it does not pull down check continuity from the
injector harness to the ECU, and ECU ground. If both are OK, you've got a
bad ECU or possibly a sensor connecton problem, but I can't think of one
that would totally kill injection and still provide spark.
------------------
Joe: Since I only have it on one side, can I skip the rest of your
instructions above?
============
Cla I'd be looking first at fuses and relays and fusible links if there
is no 12 volts to the injectors.

------------------
Joe: Since I have 12 volts between one side of the injector connector and
battery positive, can I assume fuses, relays and fusible links are all OK?

Old December 16th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella[_2_]

From the bundle wires from the ECU is a heavy black wire with an uncoated
silver strand of wires attached to the chassis.

I disconnected it, sanded the chassis and the connector and reconnected
it...

NO CHANGE!

I am now gonna look for the ECU fuse.

Joe

Old December 16th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella[_2_]

Where would I find Fuse Link G; i.e., the ECU fuse???

Old December 17th 07, 04:21 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:16:50 GMT, "Joe Colella" > wrote:

>Where would I find Fuse Link G; i.e., the ECU fuse???

I don't have a manual for your car available, but normally in the
fuse-box/junction box in the engine compartment, where the relays
live.
Could also be in a panel in the kick-panel, or the main fuse box.

On my Mystique there is an engine control fuse. It is a 7.5 amp fuse
in the main panel. The pcm keep-alive is in the box by the battery (3
amp) and there is a 20 amp pcm power fuse also in that box.
Also a PCM power relay in that box.

Would REALLY help to have a pinout diagram for the ECU.
Check for power at thethrottle sensor switch. SHould have 5 volts on
one wire with it disconnected and the key on.. If so, CPU is getting
power. (at least on the "brain" side. If not, check fuses, but could
also still be the ECU.

.. .

Old December 17th 07, 05:42 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella[_2_]

I have disconnected sanded and reconnected G104 and G201; could not find
G109.

Still no noid flash...

The PCM relay sits on top of the PCM and I actually have gotten the
pinpoints out and that's on the agenda for tomorrow.

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:16:50 GMT, "Joe Colella" > wrote:
>
>>Where would I find Fuse Link G; i.e., the ECU fuse???
>>

> I don't have a manual for your car available, but normally in the
> fuse-box/junction box in the engine compartment, where the relays
> live.
> Could also be in a panel in the kick-panel, or the main fuse box.
>
> On my Mystique there is an engine control fuse. It is a 7.5 amp fuse
> in the main panel. The pcm keep-alive is in the box by the battery (3
> amp) and there is a 20 amp pcm power fuse also in that box.
> Also a PCM power relay in that box.
>
> Would REALLY help to have a pinout diagram for the ECU.
> Check for power at thethrottle sensor switch. SHould have 5 volts on
> one wire with it disconnected and the key on.. If so, CPU is getting
> power. (at least on the "brain" side. If not, check fuses, but could
> also still be the ECU.

. ..

Old December 19th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biggus

some of those things are in the harness itself,
some times ford put things in different places on the 5.0's too.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
If you have a good set of drawings, they will show you the components, but
not where they are, one manual I have on 5.0 has all the electrical drawings
in the back.
Some Shops have the big set, shows much more.

Old December 24th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
scott and barb

Possible you could also have a dying hall-effect sensor inside the
distributor......

> <clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:53:09 -0500, Michael Johnson >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>As cars get more complicated through the use of electronics it is harder
> >>to diagnose problems. While the Fox Mustang has a lot of old school
> >>design employed it does have a certain level of electronic control that
> >>makes diagnosis of some repairs very difficult without more
> >>sophisticated equipment or in depth knowledge of the car's systems. My
> >>comments were only meant to give you good advice based on my own
> >>personal experienced of owning a Fox Mustang continuously since 1987 and
> >>from heavily modifying it over the years.

> > Still have not heard if he has 12 volts to the injectors.
> > Without that, he doesn't stand a chance.
> > He can check that with a standard 12 volt test light to ground.
> >
> > The other test light check is to put the test light from batt pos to
> > the "ground" side of the injectors and crank the engine. If the light
> > flashes the ECU is triggering the injectors. If he has no 12 volts and
> > has a trigger, it will be a connection, fuse, or relay. If he has no
> > 12 volts AND no trigger it will be one of those common to both the
> > injector circuit and the PCM.
> > If he has no 12 volts and has a trigger it will be one specific to the
> > injector power only.
> >
> > --
> >

> Clare,
>
> Since I have 12 volts between one side of the injector connection and
> battery positive, can I assume the steps outlined above are now

irrelevant?

Old January 1st 08, 10:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:32:09 GMT, "Joe Colella" > wrote:

>So, I have taken most of your advice and I am still stationary... The
>situation is my 93 GT ran well Friday night, but Saturday morning it would
>not start and this is what I have done... Any and all advice,
>suggestions and prayers will be greatly appreciated!!!

Well, First of all, Happy New Year to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, ???

Did you get your pony out of the garage? If so, what was the
malfunction?
Old January 2nd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_101_]

On Jan 1, 5:47*am, wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:32:09 GMT, "Joe Colella" > wrote:
> >So, I have taken most of your advice and I am still stationary... * * The
> >situation is my 93 GT ran well Friday night, but Saturday morning it would
> >not start and this is what I have done... * * *Any and all advice,
> >suggestions and prayers will be greatly appreciated!!!

> Well, *First of all, Happy New Year to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Second, ???
>
> Did you get your pony out of the garage? *If so, what was the
> malfunction?

No, I am still working on it.

When performing QA1, QA2 and QA3, and all the other pinpoint tests,
can I simply disconnect my PCM and test on the connector or do I need
a breakout box in order for the tests to be run properly?

Thanks!

Joe

Old January 2nd 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang, alt.autos.ford
Joe[_101_]