rFactor development

Old August 13th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Default rFactor development

Following up on the other threads here regarding rFactor mods, rFactor
seems to have really "come of age" recently.

What with the latest patch (a year on, ISI really need to incorporate
changeable weather and call it V2.0 and charge for it IMHO), the recent
F1 2005, Porsche and especially the F1 79 demo mods rFactor is now right
up there for me, what with its solid multiplayer.

Throw in the recent Essington update from Hudson along with Toban and
Mills track updates, plus the sky updates and rFactor is probably the
best looking sim available.

It has taken seemingly ages since launch to see the quality add ons, but
it makes sense these take time and there is a learning curve.

rFactor is looking really good right now and hopefully for future
development.

Cheers
Tony
Old August 14th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

I agree wholeheartedly. rF has truly picked up steam as of late and
looks as good, if not better than many raing titles out there.

Before moving on to V2, I would expect one more (maybe 2-3) patch to
finalize the Stock Car mod rules and physics. ISI has been very open
and for them NOT to complete something before moving on to V2 would
surprise me.

Aside from weather, what would a V2 of rF offer? Obviously some kind of
significant physics engine update, otherwise, what's the point? I'd
like to see a "going off track" penalty, in which you have reduced
traction for half a lap or so while the dirt gets cleaned off the
tires. Also reduced grip for driving off the racing groove and getting
into the marbles. Finally, (for me) an auto adjusting AI system based
on my past driving experiences at each track. Similar to the system in
Nr2003 in which the AI% would adjust after each race. Keeps me from
trying to figure what AI% I need for this track, that track, etc.

Since 1150, I have rF'ed more than ever. CTDP and the 1.2 PCC mod have
done it for me.

Old August 14th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Atom Elfman

"Tony Rickard" > ha scritto nel messaggio
k...
> Following up on the other threads here regarding rFactor mods, rFactor seems to have really "come of age" recently.
>
> What with the latest patch (a year on, ISI really need to incorporate changeable weather and call it V2.0 and charge for it IMHO)

ehm, charge? i buy rF just 15 days ago...

not joking plz..

Old August 14th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus wrote:
> I'd like to see a "going off track" penalty, in which you have reduced
> traction for half a lap or so while the dirt gets cleaned off the
> tires.

To me an artificial slowdown like that is too fake and annoying (reminds
me of the "sticky walls" in Papyrus NASCAR sims.) They should just
model the reduced grip caused by having dirt on your tires (LFS already
does this).
Old August 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

R wrote:
> Darus wrote:
> > I'd like to see a "going off track" penalty, in which you have reduced
> > traction for half a lap or so while the dirt gets cleaned off the
> > tires.

> To me an artificial slowdown like that is too fake and annoying (reminds
> me of the "sticky walls" in Papyrus NASCAR sims.) They should just
> model the reduced grip caused by having dirt on your tires (LFS already
> does this).

I believe that is what he meant by reduced traction.
Old August 14th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony Rickard wrote:
> R wrote:
>> Darus wrote:
>> > I'd like to see a "going off track" penalty, in which you have reduced
>> > traction for half a lap or so while the dirt gets cleaned off the
>> > tires.

>> To me an artificial slowdown like that is too fake and annoying
>> (reminds me of the "sticky walls" in Papyrus NASCAR sims.) They
>> should just model the reduced grip caused by having dirt on your tires
>> (LFS already does this).

> I believe that is what he meant by reduced traction.

Doh! I always forget. It is respond first and then read the post or the
other way around

Sorry 'bout that.
Old August 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darryl

Atom Elfman wrote:
> "Tony Rickard" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> k...
> > Following up on the other threads here regarding rFactor mods, rFactor seems to have really "come of age" recently.
> >
> > What with the latest patch (a year on, ISI really need to incorporate changeable weather and call it V2.0 and charge for it IMHO)

> ehm, charge? i buy rF just 15 days ago...
>
> not joking plz..

You may have bought it a few days ago, but it has been out for quite a
while, and the ISI people have provided us with at least three *major*
upgrades since then. There are a number of us who have been amazed at
the free stuff that ISI has given us, and we're quite prepared to make
a payment for the next significant upgrade. Any other game company, for
example ... cough ... EA, would have charged full price for each
upgrade and simply called them "new games". Would you complain that EA
wanted to charge for FIFA 2006 just because you bought FIFA 2005 a week
ago? I think not. (You might regret your timing of the purchase,
however.)

--
Darryl

Old August 17th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On 14 Aug 2006 03:50:37 -0700, Darus wrote:
>>
>> Aside from weather, what would a V2 of rF offer? Obviously some kind of
>> significant physics engine update, otherwise, what's the point? I'd

> I'd like to see online driver changes for realtime endurance racing
> added.
>
> Cheers, Uwe

Huge ditto!

Old August 18th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
>> On 14 Aug 2006 03:50:37 -0700, Darus wrote:
>>>
>>> Aside from weather, what would a V2 of rF offer? Obviously some kind of
>>> significant physics engine update, otherwise, what's the point? I'd

>> I'd like to see online driver changes for realtime endurance racing
>> added.
>>
>> Cheers, Uwe
>>

> Huge ditto!

There's a thread about this at RSC. Apparently it can be done now.
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=262352

--
David G Fisher