Thinking of upgrading to C5

Old July 27th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Garry Horoupian

Default Thinking of upgrading to C5

Hey Everyone

I currently have a '90 C4 red/black 6-speed and am thinking of upgrading to
a C5.

Is there a particular year that was better than others in terms of
reliability? Are there things I should look out for when looking at C5's?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Garry

Old July 27th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:21:09 -0700, "Garry Horoupian"
> wrote:

>Hey Everyone
>
>I currently have a '90 C4 red/black 6-speed and am thinking of upgrading to
>a C5.
>
>Is there a particular year that was better than others in terms of
>reliability? Are there things I should look out for when looking at C5's?
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice
>Garry

Every year got better and better ... But when you come down to it the
1st C5...the 97 was very good right out of the box...

I sold my 95 (Black on Black 6 sp) because i could no longer deal
with keeping a Black car looking the way I wanted it to.. then went
looking for a 2000-2002 (Conv or Z06)..no coupe a couple of years ago
and settled on a 98 silver 6 speed conv. Older then I really was
looking for but it opnly had 19,000 miles and was super clean ...

Not sorry at all that I jumped on it.. completely trouble free and now
has 24000 on her clock...

So buy the neest one you can get BUT do not pass on the earlier ones
IF they have what you want...

Personally I liked the interior seating position of my 95 better then
the C5's...just more like being in a race car I guess...BUT the C5 is
much easier to get out of.....even trade in my opinion...

Lots of luck...

Bob G
64 72 & 98 Verts
76 & 79 Coupes

Old July 27th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

If you give Consumer Reports any credence, they list the 1997 and 2000
models , in particular, as not very good. 2002 had very high scores as
did 2004 if I remember correctly. If a used 2005 C6 interests you,
you could get a basic one fairly reasonable as i only paid $39,995 for
my '2006' C6 with the basic 1 LT package brand new in Feb. of last year
(had to go to Michigan to take delivery of it then drove it back to
Illinois). The C6 has some big improvements over the C5 including no
rattles and stronger performance.

Old July 28th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Garry H

Thanks for the info.

I would love a c6 but I'm too pricey for me.

Old July 28th 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Garry H

I've noticed the difference in the seats and I agree. I prefer the c4 seats
as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Old July 28th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

Garry H wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I would love a c6 but I'm too pricey for me.
>

> "dave" > wrote in message
>> If you give Consumer Reports any credence, they list the 1997 and 2000
>> models , in particular, as not very good. 2002 had very high scores as
>> did 2004 if I remember correctly. If a used 2005 C6 interests you,
>> you could get a basic one fairly reasonable as i only paid $39,995 for
>> my '2006' C6 with the basic 1 LT package brand new in Feb. of last year
>> (had to go to Michigan to take delivery of it then drove it back to
>> Illinois). The C6 has some big improvements over the C5 including no
>> rattles and stronger performance.

Bought an '02 coupe about 20 months ago--
<20K miles. It's not a daily driver but gets
a good workout three weekends a month and an
occasional trip for dinner with my bride. Now
nearing 38K.

Expenses to date: routine fluids, one set of
tires and a dynotune. I'm quite happy aside
from a slightly tighter cockpit with less
lateral support than in the C4.

Dad hasn't spoken up yet but he prefers the
'03 to the '02. I believe that the
networking between the control modules was
better on the '03 & '04 than on the '02 and
prior--probably makes for quicker diagnostics.

--
pj
'02 e-blu 6-spd / '89 auto cpe.

Old July 28th 07, 09:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Garry H wrote:
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> I would love a c6 but I'm too pricey for me.
>>

>> "dave" > wrote in message
>>> If you give Consumer Reports any credence, they list the 1997 and 2000
>>> models , in particular, as not very good. 2002 had very high scores as
>>> did 2004 if I remember correctly. If a used 2005 C6 interests you,
>>> you could get a basic one fairly reasonable as i only paid $39,995 for
>>> my '2006' C6 with the basic 1 LT package brand new in Feb. of last year
>>> (had to go to Michigan to take delivery of it then drove it back to
>>> Illinois). The C6 has some big improvements over the C5 including no
>>> rattles and stronger performance.
>>>

> Bought an '02 coupe about 20 months ago--
> <20K miles. It's not a daily driver but gets a good workout three
> weekends a month and an occasional trip for dinner with my bride. Now
> nearing 38K.
>
> Expenses to date: routine fluids, one set of tires and a dynotune. I'm
> quite happy aside from a slightly tighter cockpit with less lateral
> support than in the C4.
>
> Dad hasn't spoken up yet but he prefers the '03 to the '02. I believe
> that the networking between the control modules was better on the '03 &
> '04 than on the '02 and prior--probably makes for quicker diagnostics.
>
> --

I think Dad said his favorite C5 was his 98 he had...

I love my 98, so far it is the only Vette I have owened
but hope to change that soon...
--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old July 28th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:57:49 -0500, (dave)
wrote:

>If you give Consumer Reports any credence, they list the 1997 and 2000
>models , in particular, as not very good. 2002 had very high scores as
>did 2004 if I remember correctly. If a used 2005 C6 interests you,
>you could get a basic one fairly reasonable as i only paid $39,995 for
>my '2006' C6 with the basic 1 LT package brand new in Feb. of last year
>(had to go to Michigan to take delivery of it then drove it back to
>Illinois). The C6 has some big improvements over the C5 including no
>rattles and stronger performance.

I gave up on Consumer reports man many years ago... Their opinions are
similar to the bean counters in the home office of many major
corporations and never even remotely like mine...

Oil consumption on "some" 2000's was an issue most were handled under
warranty by having new rings installed... I have no clue what CR
knocked the 97 for...but knowing them it was probably about it would
not hold 3 adults comfortably

BTW...I have Dads Original shopp Manuels he had for his 98...
(complete 20 pound set, I do not see where he had used them at all..

The C6 is really nice BUT for me it is not worth selling my C5
for...Maybe I am hard of hearing as my C5 does shake or rattle
but it does roll...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Verts
76 & 79 Coupes
Old July 29th 07, 02:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Garry H" > wrote in message
> I've noticed the difference in the seats and I agree. I prefer the c4
> seats as well.

Never driven a C5 or C6. Have been a passenger in a C5. What I'll say is I
like the driver's seat in my '93 a lot. Never been a passenger in it. )

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old July 29th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
hmmmmmm

don't think.....

just do it!

)

upgrading the brakes Simon Juncal Jeep 1 December 3rd 05 11:02 PM
slightly OT. Upgrading from GT convertible to ____ roger Ford Mustang 4 November 11th 05 11:22 PM
Manually upgrading Honda Civic [email protected] Honda 0 October 15th 05 01:24 AM
Upgrading/replacing 164 stereo system? [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 September 19th 05 02:33 AM
Upgrading the 2004 Element AWD OM Honda 1 March 5th 05 06:05 PM