"Service Engine Soon" Light '96 T&C

Old August 1st 05, 02:48 AM
99trooper

Default "Service Engine Soon" Light '96 T&C

Hello All,

I've got some problems I was hoping you all could help me with. I've got
a '96 Town & Country (148k miles on it) that has the Service Engine Soon
light lit, and my emissions are due by the end of Auguset.

Here is the rundown: I did the key shut off (5 times on/ off) and counted
the flashes...: Code 31 (EVAP stuff) , code 34 (has nothing to do with
emissions, but explains why my cruise control hasn't worked in a year),
and code 72 (Right rear catalyst efficiancy failure-catalyst efficiancy
below required level). I took it to a garage (that serviced before... see
History-) and they read codes: P0420 (Catalyst system efficiency below
threashold (bank no 1)), Code P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System
Leak Detected (Large Leak)), P1595 (Speed Control Solenoid Circuits)...

Now the History... About 2 months ago the vehicle just stopped suddenly on
the expressway... the diaganosis was the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
failed...$650 later I was on my way...put new tires on, new ball joints
since I was knee deep by now. So a month later, check engine light comes
on (beginning to mid July) and was running really rough to the point of
not being able to really drive it (but I did manage to drive it to the
same shop the next morning about 6 or 7 miles away)... Diagnosis: Cam
Posision Sensor bad and a code for EVAP problems- they put a new gas cap
on and visually inspected lines for pinches and cracks and found non...
worked fine from there. I went on vacation- my inlaws drove the
vehicle... Check engine Light back on... Drives fine though...Hmmm. I
took it back to the same shop after pulling my own codes (key on off
method) and they confirmed the "in depth codes" to me.

I gather I need a new Cat converter right, at least that is what the shop
and Autozone tell me that is where to start... (prices were given to me
anywhere between $150 installed to $560 installed).... now for the EVAP
problem... any ideas?

Thanks...sorry so long

Old August 1st 05, 08:40 PM
techdrive

I had this same problem with my '96 T&C. It came and went and no one could
find it. Later on I had a stalling out problem which I immediately
identified as a failing in-tank fuel pump. When I dropped the tank, there
were several fuel/evap lines which had to be disconnected. These had
"quick disconnect" type fittings that have O-rings in them. 2 of them were
rotted and crumbling. I replaced them before putting the tank back in and
since then, like 2 years ago, no more code 31! Yippie! I figure that these
leaking O-rings were just enough to prevent the fuel tank from sealing,
just as a bad gas cap would. Hope it helps you out, Mike

Old August 12th 05, 10:50 AM
Spam Hater

In article
outautos.com>,
"99trooper" > wrote:

> I went on vacation- my inlaws drove the
> vehicle... Check engine Light back on... Drives fine though...Hmmm. I
> took it back to the same shop after pulling my own codes (key on off
> method) and they confirmed the "in depth codes" to me.

My '95 Concord occasionally turns on the trouble light if it's damp
weather. The code is always "33" air conditioner related.
The dealer attempted to correct the situation a few times, but no
success. I've had to learn to live with it, but I realize if something
serious wants to notify me of trouble I may not notice it.

Some day I may find the problem, which is likely dampness getting on the
sensitive sensor wiring; a problem I fixed with a dab of silicone on my
previous Chrysler.
Old August 13th 05, 12:39 AM
Dennis

Ah, another job for WD40. Seriously, spray all your wiring with WD40 and see
if that cures it.