Intake manifold

Old February 6th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dosio

Default Intake manifold

This is kind of follow up to previous posting. I've got 98' Expl. 4.0L , OHV
only in a morning when start the engine and put shift lever on reverse or
drive it died immediately, if I let it run for 30sec. it wont die. I replace
EGR , IAC valve and Upper intake manifold gasket. Any ideas where to look?
Thanks
Dosio

Old February 13th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dufey

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:29:04 -0800, "dosio" >
wrote:

>This is kind of follow up to previous posting. I've got 98' Expl. 4.0L , OHV
>only in a morning when start the engine and put shift lever on reverse or
>drive it died immediately, if I let it run for 30sec. it wont die. I replace
>EGR , IAC valve and Upper intake manifold gasket. Any ideas where to look?
>Thanks
>Dosio

The lower manifold gaskets need to be replaced also. The 00M12 tsb is
for upper, lower manifold gasket replacement and also cam chain
tensioner replacement. If you don't need the tensioner, just follow
the tsb as far as lower manifold gasket replacement. That should fix
the cold weather idle problem. Also cleaning /lubricating the IAC is
not a good idea. Since you replaced yours it should last 5 years or
more.
http://www.siriusnet.net/fordexplorer/tsb-00M12.pdf

Roy
Old February 13th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Feb 12, 9:44 pm, Dufey > wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:29:04 -0800, "dosio" >
> wrote:
>
> >This is kind of follow up to previous posting. I've got 98' Expl. 4.0L , OHV
> >only in a morning when start the engine and put shift lever on reverse or
> >drive it died immediately, if I let it run for 30sec. it wont die. I replace
> >EGR , IAC valve and Upper intake manifold gasket. Any ideas where to look?
> >Thanks
> >Dosio

> The lower manifold gaskets need to be replaced also. The 00M12 tsb is
> for upper, lower manifold gasket replacement and also cam chain
> tensioner replacement.

That TSB only applies to the 4.0L SOHC engine, he says he has the 4.0L
OHV engine which doesn't have the cam chain problems.
-Paul

Old February 13th 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dufey

On 12 Feb 2007 21:56:43 -0800, "Paul G." > wrote:

>On Feb 12, 9:44 pm, Dufey > wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:29:04 -0800, "dosio" >

>That TSB only applies to the 4.0L SOHC engine, he says he has the 4.0L
>OHV engine which doesn't have the cam chain problems.
>-Paul

Geez, I didn't even see OHV. Thanx for the correction Paul.
Roy
Old February 13th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Dufey

wrote:

>This is kind of follow up to previous posting. I've got 98' Expl. 4.0L , OHV
>only in a morning when start the engine and put shift lever on reverse or
>drive it died immediately, if I let it run for 30sec. it wont die. I replace
>EGR , IAC valve and Upper intake manifold gasket. Any ideas where to look?
>Thanks
>Dosio

here is a link to download the factory service manual and diagnostics
on cd. you must name the cd 98TRK08 for it to work.

http://www.fordcds.com/

Roy
Old February 14th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Feb 12, 10:13 pm, Dufey > wrote:

> here is a link to download the factory service manual and diagnostics
> on cd. you must name the cd 98TRK08 for it to work.
>
> http://www.fordcds.com/
>
> Roy

Hey thanks!!!

I had already bought one on Ebay for my Explorer, but I got one for my
daughter's Taurus. That's faq material.
-Paul

Old February 20th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

[Sorry if duplicate post - I have been having trouble getting to this
group for several days.]

Dufey wrote:

> here is a link to download the factory service manual and diagnostics
> on cd. you must name the cd 98TRK08 for it to work.
>
> http://www.fordcds.com/

That's an interesting link. I visited the site, and went through the
agony of downloading one of the big iso files using Bit Trickle. Once I
got the entire 5.5 GB on my machine, I bought a double-layer DVD
('spensive!) and burned it. And now, after all that, it doesn't seem to
work. The problem is that it isn't simply a manual or a big data
collection. Instead, there is a Setup.exe file that installs a viewer or
shell on your computer, and as part of that process, you have to provide
a 5-digit PACODE (Parts and Accessories Code) of some kind. For some of
the info, it also seems to want an OASIS number.

Sure wish I had known this before I started the whole process. Has
anyone else had better luck with this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Bill Jeffrey
Old February 20th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Feb 20, 11:00 am, Bill Jeffrey > wrote:
> [Sorry if duplicate post - I have been having trouble getting to this
> group for several days.]
>
> Dufey wrote:
>

> > here is a link to download the factory service manual and diagnostics
> > on cd. you must name the cd 98TRK08 for it to work.
> >
> >http://www.fordcds.com/

> That's an interesting link. I visited the site, and went through the
> agony of downloading one of the big iso files using Bit Trickle. Once I
> got the entire 5.5 GB on my machine, I bought a double-layer DVD
> ('spensive!) and burned it. And now, after all that, it doesn't seem to
> work. The problem is that it isn't simply a manual or a big data
> collection. Instead, there is a Setup.exe file that installs a viewer or
> shell on your computer, and as part of that process, you have to provide
> a 5-digit PACODE (Parts and Accessories Code) of some kind. For some of
> the info, it also seems to want an OASIS number.
>
> Sure wish I had known this before I started the whole process. Has
> anyone else had better luck with this? Am I doing something wrong?

I downloaded a CD image for 2001 cars. That worked perfectly. So I
can't say about the DVD images.
-Paul