First engine pull

Old February 10th 05, 08:24 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> >> Magnaflux only works on magnetic materials like steel. Won't show
> >> anything on aluminum or magnesium.

> >Apparently misinformed!!!
> >
> >You don't know what it is that your talking about
> >

> >> There are other techniques which do work on non-magnetic materials,
> >> however.
> >>

> >Again, misinformed!!!
> >

> Like dye penetrant techniques, for example.
> >
> >Magnaflux uses small metal MAGNETIC particles to bring out the cracks!!!!!

> That's correct, but those magnetic particles follow the field lines
> that pass thru the part being inspected. If there is a crack in the
> part, AND if that part is made of a magnetic material, then the field
> lines will be distorted and concentrated at the edges of the crack and
> the magnetic particles will concentrate there.
>
> If the part is non-magnetic, then the the field lines don't even see
> it, so they won't be distorted and they can't show anything.
>
> To be fair, this is the way it would work if the field was DC, but I
> can imagine a different end result if the field was AC. An AC field
> would generate eddy currents in a non-magnetic material if it was a
> conductor. This might well create something visible at a crack, but a
> lot depends on the skin depth in the material and whether the field
> can penetrate enough that it can exit near a crack.
>
> Accepting the fact that I may have misunderstood something here I
> googled on magnaflux and found this FAQ at the Magnaflux Corp's web
> site:
>
> http://www.magnaflux.com/library/faq_mag.stm
>
> which starts with this comment in their FAQ:
>
> >What is Magnetic Particle Inspection?

> >A nondestructive test method which provides for the detection of linear,

surface and near surface >discontinuities in ferromagnetic (material that can be
magnetized) test materials.

> and this one:
>
> >What are the limitations of magnetic particle inspection?

> >Test material must be ferrous

> Perhaps you need to be more careful in your critism in the future, as
> jumping to conclusions like this tends to make you look foolish.

My bad!!! I did apologize for my ignorance - I too checked the magnaflux site
before I had replied -- unfortunately I hadn't taken the time to actually read
the stuff on the page -- oops...

It still is important to crack check the case and heads -- normally I just send
the stuff out to the machine shop -- have them deal with it --

around 30+ years ago -- 1970s I worked at the local VW machine shop >V-Dubbs
Machine< 5 solid years as a builder. Back-in-the-day I could do 4 long blocks a
day! I do know what it is that I am talking about -- cept some of the time I
forget stuff!

I really feel bad that I may have given inappropriate information to some one in
this group and once again I apologize for my ignorance - won't happen again!!!!

....and Jim, I appreciate your well thought out reply/criticism.....

Regards

BBA

Old February 10th 05, 09:45 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> try to bull**** someone that doesn't know better....it does NOT say
> "magnafluxing" on the can it says "Magnaflux" which is the ****ing brand

sure it does -- says right here "for magnafluxing"

> name....as i explained...maybe a reading comprehension class is in
> order?

up yours

.....please don't try to **** with someone that actually knows you are full of
it....

did I **** with you?
......And I apologize, okay, you happy NOW????!

BBA

Old February 10th 05, 10:02 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> "Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> >
> > I don't need this -- I came here to HELP!!! --- I have better things to
> > do.........
> >

> by spreading misinformation? if you can't handle being corrected, then
> please do your homework first...

So tell me -- no need to chastise me -- I made a simple mistake -- is not that
big of a deal -- I feel bad enough -- do you honestly think I meant to give
inaccurate info?-- no, was truly not my intension!!!

I am very, very sorry! I feel awful. So bad in fact that I won't be posting here
again -- not for a while anyways!

Bill E. Badaus

Old February 10th 05, 01:47 PM
Remco

Bridgeport/Fairfield -- That place is on the way to the cape, so I can
easily 'sell' the 2 hr drive to my wife Thanks!
I have to crack the case still so am just getting my ducks in a row.

Would this place also do other machining related to VWs? (like valve
job).

Old February 10th 05, 06:10 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> > try to bull**** someone that doesn't know better....it does NOT say
> > "magnafluxing" on the can it says "Magnaflux" which is the ****ing brand

> sure it does -- says right here "for magnafluxing"

you and I *both* know it says NO SUCH THING on the *can* of dye
penetrant...as i explained "magnafluxing" as it has come to be known is a
magnetic particle inspection...you are not gonna get that in a can...

wow..must have hit a **** nerve...sometimes pride does that to you....

> ....please don't try to **** with someone that actually knows you are full

of
> it....
>
> did I **** with you?
> .....And I apologize, okay, you happy NOW????!
>
> BBA

sorry, no billy, i won't be happy as long as you kick and scream like a 12
year old girl when you are called on something...but that won't stop me from
calling you out....

Old February 10th 05, 06:12 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> > "Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > I don't need this -- I came here to HELP!!! --- I have better things

> > > do.........
> > >

> > by spreading misinformation? if you can't handle being corrected, then
> > please do your homework first...

> So tell me -- no need to chastise me -- I made a simple mistake -- is not

that
> big of a deal -- I feel bad enough -- do you honestly think I meant to

give
> inaccurate info?-- no, was truly not my intension!!!

so tell you? no need to chastise you? i gave you the same reply you gave
to a very knowledgeable and trusted regular on this board....i even used
your quoted words...so if it was condescending in any way, then please don't
cry foul, they were the same words you threw out to someone else....what is
the old saying about "if you can't take the heat"?

> I am very, very sorry! I feel awful. So bad in fact that I won't be

posting here
> again -- not for a while anyways!

don't run off because you were called out....learn from it(although you
already supposedly KNOW because you do it all the time, running a shop for
25 years and all)

Old February 10th 05, 06:14 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> > try to bull**** someone that doesn't know better....it does NOT say
> > "magnafluxing" on the can it says "Magnaflux" which is the ****ing brand

> sure it does -- says right here "for magnafluxing"

if you want me to i can snap a pic of the back of the can....where you will
not find those words either....you did look at the link i posted didn't you?
of course you did, that is why you had no reply to it...

Old February 10th 05, 06:21 PM
cloud8

"Remco" > wrote in news:1108043263.674697.289260
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Bridgeport/Fairfield -- That place is on the way

to the cape, so I can> easily 'sell' the 2 hr drive
to my wife Thanks!

Just watch out for the Statie at exit 5.

> Would this place also do other machining related

to VWs? (like valve> job).

I'm sure they would, but call first to make sure
they still work on ACVWs.

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.