87 YJ Firewall vent or hose. What is it?

Old October 13th 05, 08:29 PM
Charlie Dellacona

Default 87 YJ Firewall vent or hose. What is it?

Sticking out of the firewall on the passenger's side of the
engine is very short piece of rubber hose maybe 1 3/4 inch
diameter. About the height of the valve cover.

Anybody know what it is? A vent of some kind?

Thanks,
Charlie

Old October 13th 05, 08:30 PM
Scott in Baltimore

Charlie Dellacona wrote:
> Sticking out of the firewall on the passenger's side of the
> engine is very short piece of rubber hose maybe 1 3/4 inch
> diameter. About the height of the valve cover.
>
> Anybody know what it is? A vent of some kind?
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie

Is it near the heater box? It could be a drain for the AC.
Old October 13th 05, 08:33 PM
Charlie Dellacona

I don't have AC (sob...)

Old October 13th 05, 08:43 PM
Earle Horton

It is the drain for the heater intake. Maintenance is to make sure that it
is free of dirt, leaves, and other junk. If it gets clogged, water will
come into the passenger/driver area. The one I have angles straight down,
and ends in a pinched-off affair. This is supposed to let water out, but
prevent exhaust and fumes from entering.

Earle

Old October 13th 05, 10:11 PM
Mike Romain

Sounds like his is missing the down tube.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 13th 05, 10:53 PM
Mike Romain

It is also the size of the drain from the air intake box that sits in
the middle front of the cowl under the windshield.

Mike

Old October 14th 05, 08:43 AM
Earle Horton

I read the original post again, and "very short" could either mean that the
hose is broken off, or that it is the regular length of a foot or so. It
just depends on how long things are, on average, in his part of the world.
;o)

Earle

Old October 14th 05, 02:23 PM
Charlie Dellacona

Thanks all. It is the air intake vent.

I should have said, by very short I meant an inch or so. Also that
it was open ended.

Is it supposed to have a cover or screen on the end? Mine is
just open.

--Charlie

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
>I read the original post again, and "very short" could either mean that the
> hose is broken off, or that it is the regular length of a foot or so. It
> just depends on how long things are, on average, in his part of the world.
> ;o)
>
> Earle
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>> It is also the size of the drain from the air intake box that sits in
>> the middle front of the cowl under the windshield.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Billy Ray wrote:
>> >
>> > He said it is 1.75" in diameter, that is the size of a radiator hose.
>> >
>> > --
>> > (remove SPAM)
>> > 2002 Jeep WJ 4 Liter Automatic
>> > Sharing is why we are all here....... or should be.
>> > .

> that

> will

> but

98 Intrepid oil use, leaking by cap? Dave Chrysler 4 October 9th 05 06:00 PM
Collapsed PCV Hose Edward Lee Saturn 1 September 19th 05 12:53 PM
Crankcase Ventilation Hose Problem [email protected] Technology 0 July 1st 05 09:27 PM
Suzuki Sidekick unknown hose Mr_Fehrenheit 4x4 3 April 18th 05 11:19 PM
Vent window rubber seals Papa VW water cooled 0 April 1st 05 02:31 AM