Thumping noise related to flat tire fix?

Old May 15th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Yong Huang

Default Thumping noise related to flat tire fix?

Honda Civic Hybrid 2008
A few months ago, I got a flat tire at rear right, because of a nail
in the garage. The shop fixed it by plugging glue to the hole. (How
should I describe that?) I think it was around that time I started to
hear thumping noice while driving, one thump for each turn of the
wheel. I just rotated tires, rear right to front left, etc. The noise
is just as loud if not louder. My question is, Is it necessary to do a
wheel balance after the shop fixes a flat tire? What else could it be?
I visually checked and used my hand to check the tire tread but can't
find anything obvious. Thanks.

Yong Huang
Old May 15th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BuckerooBilly

>Honda Civic Hybrid 2008
>A few months ago, I got a flat tire at rear right, because of a nail
>in the garage. The shop fixed it by plugging glue to the hole. (How
>should I describe that?) I think it was around that time I started to
>hear thumping noice while driving, one thump for each turn of the
>wheel. I just rotated tires, rear right to front left, etc. The noise
>is just as loud if not louder. My question is, Is it necessary to do a
>wheel balance after the shop fixes a flat tire? What else could it be?
>I visually checked and used my hand to check the tire tread but can't
>find anything obvious. Thanks.
>
>Yong Huang

Find a better tire shop. The glue plug is a common "quick-fix-it" out
the door (sometimes they do it right in the parking spot) repair. If
it's big and heavy enough, and put on a properly balanced tire, then
yeah, it can throw it out, but usually it's not heavy enough to do
that.
Now, you'll have to have the tire dismounted (removed from the rim)
and inspected. If you're thumping, you might have tread separation,
something a glued plug can't prevent nor cure.
Old May 15th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

This afternoon I heard a truck going down the road behind my house.It
was making a loud sort of not exactly a thumping noise.Maybe it was
about to sling a rod or maybe the crankshaft bearings are shot.
cuhulin

Old May 17th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AB[_2_]

Balance should not cause 'thumping'.
Get the tyre checked for 'tread separation'. This can cause a sudden
catastrophic tyre failure, as the tyre flies apart.

Andrew.

Old May 17th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Yong Huang > wrote:
>Honda Civic Hybrid 2008
>A few months ago, I got a flat tire at rear right, because of a nail
>in the garage. The shop fixed it by plugging glue to the hole. (How
>should I describe that?) I think it was around that time I started to
>hear thumping noice while driving, one thump for each turn of the
>wheel. I just rotated tires, rear right to front left, etc. The noise
>is just as loud if not louder. My question is, Is it necessary to do a
>wheel balance after the shop fixes a flat tire? What else could it be?
>I visually checked and used my hand to check the tire tread but can't
>find anything obvious. Thanks.

The glue patch... sometimes it's just fine, sometimes it's not. It
sounds like yours is not.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get a new tire.
--scott