coolant gushing out of resevoir vent at normal operating temp.

Old July 27th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default coolant gushing out of resevoir vent at normal operating temp.

Have you looked at the caps and noticed a device inside of them? From the
Rabbits to the 2000+ Jettas.
I have not seen one VW/Audi radiator cap yet that did not have some type of
pressure release system built in.
I have not seen one that simply "SEALED"!

Now maybe we are talking about apples and oranges. The caps will allow air
into the system and excess pressure out.
When you say "VENT" what are you referring to?
No, there is no hose like some vehicles that allow fluid into an overflow
tank when overpressurized and will suck the fluid back in when there is a
vacuum created inside of the coolant system. Is this what you are thinking
about?

ink.net...

Old July 27th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On my 2003 the cap fits in to a tube about 30 mm in diameter. There is
an oring to seal the cap. If antifreeze is released by the inner
mechanism that Dave vwdoc1 is talking about it flow to the outside of
that tube to a secondary column. That column has a drain in it to the
firewall side which drips down the strut tower and on to the ground.

So what VW do you believe has no vent? That would be contrary to any
design used for the last 50 or more years for an engine that uses
antifreeze. Well at least on the few cars I have seen over my last 47
years. If you read your VW repair manual there will be a spec and
procedure for testing your pressure cap. Look inside the cap, it might
even have the specs but maybe not. Mine did not but it has the
mechanism vwdoc1 mentioned.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:30:39 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>Have you looked at the caps and noticed a device inside of them? From the
>Rabbits to the 2000+ Jettas.
>I have not seen one VW/Audi radiator cap yet that did not have some type of
>pressure release system built in.
>I have not seen one that simply "SEALED"!
>
>Now maybe we are talking about apples and oranges. The caps will allow air
>into the system and excess pressure out.
>When you say "VENT" what are you referring to?
>No, there is no hose like some vehicles that allow fluid into an overflow
>tank when overpressurized and will suck the fluid back in when there is a
>vacuum created inside of the coolant system. Is this what you are thinking
>about?

link.net...

Old July 30th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Willie78

On Jul 24, 7:51 pm, "jetta107" > wrote:
> I have a '97 jetta TD, and I thought I was overheating only at high speeds,
> but it seams to be loosing coolant threw the vent on the resevoir? (
> presure in cooling system?). Then it begins to overheat.....Since there is
> no rad cap, does the resevoir cap regulate the presure?

Boiling coolant. A wrong mixure of coolant to H2O or exhaust gasses
getting into the water jacket are first thoughts. Over pressurization
is common if you have either of the afore-mentioned conditions. If
you find a new cap and the same thing happens, you have to look at the
above. Overheating is the key. Why is this happening??? If there is
a leak (cannot create a constant pressure) in the cooling system,
overheating will occur. If you have the wrong mixture in the system,
this will occur. If exhaust gasses are escaping into the cooling
system, this will happen (such as with a blown head gasket). If
timing is off, this also may occur (although this is probably more of
a long-shot). Make sure w-pump and thermostat work correctly. From
there, check for leaks and/or losses of pressurization. I have a 16v
and have to constantly monitor these things, and I know how far-
reaching these problems may be. Good luck...........