Basic flasher relay wiring

Old January 12th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Basic flasher relay wiring

Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?
Old January 12th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

wrote:
> Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

Go to this page of my web site:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

Click on: " 3-terminal 12V flasher, simplified wiring diagram."
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/flash.gif

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old January 12th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jan 11, 6:16 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

> Go to this page of my web site:http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm
>
> Click on: " 3-terminal 12V flasher, simplified wiring diagram."http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/flash.gif
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

So this is a 3 pole relay. It looks to me like one pole gets constant
power, one is switched, and one goes to the lights. Can you elaborate
a little for me telling me which is which, and what relay I might need
to buy
Thanks
Old January 12th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

wrote:

>>>Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

>>Go to this page of my web site:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

>>Click on: " 3-terminal 12V flasher, simplified wiring diagram."http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/flash.gif
>>
>>Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> So this is a 3 pole relay. It looks to me like one pole gets constant
> power, one is switched, and one goes to the lights. Can you elaborate
> a little for me telling me which is which, and what relay I might need
> to buy
> Thanks

The relay shown is a VW part.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....53%2D2 27%2DD

#49 is the 12V power.
#31 is a Ground.
#49a goes to the signal switch.

You can buy a generic flasher at an auto parts store.
These are thermal-operated and have 3 terminals marked:
X Power in.
L Load (signal switch)
P Pilot (for dash indicator)

Some only have 2 terminals, omitting the "P".

There is a helpful article he
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal1.htm
They are discussing the thermal flasher.
Internals he
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

Jim
Old January 12th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

On Jan 11, 5:11 pm, wrote:
> Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

Basic flasher is pretty straight-forward, assuming it has its own
lamps. If you're trying to emulate (or repair) the flasher module
used on the early bug/bus (ie, the 'black box'), in which the flashers
shared a filament with the brakes, it's a bit more difficult (a couple
diodes are required). Best solution is to use Jim's schematic... and
to ADD a lamp to the tail-light fixture if you are dealing with an
early single-lamp design. (Be sure to match the flasher to the NUMBER
of bulbs you want to flash.)

-Bob Hoover

PS -- I've got the circuit board layout & schematic for the DIY
replacement for the 'black box' but its on 5" floppys... and I no
longer have a working machine that can read them... assuming they're
still good :-)
Old January 12th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Veeduber wrote:

> -Bob Hoover
>
> PS -- I've got the circuit board layout & schematic for the DIY
> replacement for the 'black box' but its on 5" floppys... and I no
> longer have a working machine that can read them... assuming they're
> still good :-)

I still have a 5 1/4" floppy drive for emergencies. :-)

Alas, no more 8" drives.
Here's a YouTube vid of an old 8" drive in operation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-5rKcwHZ4E

Jim
Old January 12th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:30:24 -0500, Speedy Jim >
wrote:

>Veeduber wrote:
>
>> -Bob Hoover
>>
>> PS -- I've got the circuit board layout & schematic for the DIY
>> replacement for the 'black box' but its on 5" floppys... and I no
>> longer have a working machine that can read them... assuming they're
>> still good :-)

> I still have a 5 1/4" floppy drive for emergencies. :-)
>
> Alas, no more 8" drives.
> Here's a YouTube vid of an old 8" drive in operation:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-5rKcwHZ4E
>
> Jim

Local Fry's still carries 8" floppies. Only $199 per 10.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old January 12th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Veeduber wrote:
> On Jan 11, 5:11 pm, wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to wire a basic flasher relay from scratch?

> Basic flasher is pretty straight-forward, assuming it has its own
> lamps. If you're trying to emulate (or repair) the flasher module
> used on the early bug/bus (ie, the 'black box'), in which the flashers
> shared a filament with the brakes, it's a bit more difficult (a couple
> diodes are required). Best solution is to use Jim's schematic... and
> to ADD a lamp to the tail-light fixture if you are dealing with an
> early single-lamp design. (Be sure to match the flasher to the NUMBER
> of bulbs you want to flash.)
>
> -Bob Hoover
>
> PS -- I've got the circuit board layout & schematic for the DIY
> replacement for the 'black box' but its on 5" floppys... and I no
> longer have a working machine that can read them... assuming they're
> still good :-)

I had an IBM computer with a 5" drive just a couple of years ago, before
moving down here It was fully functional but the hard drive boot
sector was corrupted. (It had a massive 10MB hard drive).
I was not able to find a 5" boot disk to fix the boot sector and get the
thing running. So I gutted the damn thing and meant to build a modern
pentium inside it. Some frame cutting would have been required. It had a
matching old skool CGA monitor too, which I was going to convert as
well. Sadly I had to abandon the project. I wanted to retain teh 5"
drive too just for kicks.

Jan
Old January 12th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Jan Andersson wrote:

> I had an IBM computer with a 5" drive just a couple of years ago, before
> moving down here It was fully functional but the hard drive boot
> sector was corrupted. (It had a massive 10MB hard drive).
> I was not able to find a 5" boot disk to fix the boot sector and get the
> thing running. So I gutted the damn thing and meant to build a modern
> pentium inside it. Some frame cutting would have been required. It had a
> matching old skool CGA monitor too, which I was going to convert as
> well. Sadly I had to abandon the project. I wanted to retain teh 5"
> drive too just for kicks.
>
> Jan

I still have a complete and working XT clone that runs at the
astonishing speed of 10mhz but I haven't plugged it in for several years.

I also have a couple of the later 1.2m 5 1/4" floppy drives in case I
ever need one but I haven't needed one in more than a few years. I
might plug one in one of these days for ****s and giggles and to see if
any of my stash of old disks are readable.

Some years back City Liquidators in Portland, OR had a pallet sized
crate of 8" floppies for free siting out front. Kids were tossing them
like Frisbees.

Tony