Tranny Input Shaft Seal Install Tool - Help Please!

Old August 5th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Tranny Input Shaft Seal Install Tool - Help Please!

Hello!
What kind of home made sleeve tool can I make that does not require
welding to install the tranny input shaft seal?

I was thinking of a flat washer just a little smaller diameter as the
input shaft seal and a short piece of pvc pipe and a rubber mallet.

Thanks In Advance!
Any help will be appreciated!
Old August 5th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:45:24 +0200, > wrote:

> Hello!
> What kind of home made sleeve tool can I make that does not require
> welding to install the tranny input shaft seal?
>
> I was thinking of a flat washer just a little smaller diameter as the
> input shaft seal and a short piece of pvc pipe and a rubber mallet.
>
> Thanks In Advance!
> Any help will be appreciated!

You can do it with a flat nosed punch/drift, make sure it has no sharp
edges.
Also make sure you get the seal square when you start, slowly round round
and in it goes.
Or if you have a large diameter pipe, type water or gas, preferably the
same O.d as the seal you can tap it in with this using a heavy big hammer
or short-shaft sledgehammer.

J.

Old August 5th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The replacement input shaft seal does not have a metal outer edge.
Is it supposed to have one?
If so, where can I get one?
TIA
-----------------------------------

Old August 6th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> What kind of home made sleeve tool can I make that does not require
> welding to install the tranny input shaft seal?
>
> I was thinking of a flat washer just a little smaller diameter as the
> input shaft seal and a short piece of pvc pipe and a rubber mallet.
>
> Thanks In Advance!
> Any help will be appreciated!

If you are talking about a type 1 transaxle, I've always been able to
install it with a block of wood(short section of dowel rod is very
nice) and a few light taps with a hammer. Or you can use the blunt end
of a screwdriver and a hammer if you have a screwdriver that you don't
particularly care if the tip gets damaged(read: craftsman
screwdriver). PVC pipe would work as well, the idea is to not hit the
seal so hard that you damage it, and make sure that you drive it in
square with the bore.

Chris
Old August 6th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Aug 5, 11:49 am, wrote:
> The replacement input shaft seal does not have a metal outer edge.
> Is it supposed to have one?
> If so, where can I get one?
> TIA

No, the input shaft seal is just a rubber donut lip seal with a garter
spring. I've never seen one with an outer edge made of metal.

What vehicle are you working on?

Chris
Old August 6th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> What vehicle are you working on?

It's a 1973 VW Beetle with a lowered compression 1600cc DP Type I
engine and a stock transaxle.
Old August 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Aug 6, 6:22*am, wrote:
> > What vehicle are you working on?

> It's a 1973 VW Beetle with a lowered compression 1600cc DP Type I
> engine and a stock transaxle.

The only transaxle seal that has a metal ring(technically a bushing)
is the one that goes around the shift rod. It is actually two pieces,
the piece with the rubber lip seal is driven into the nosecone from
the outside. Is that the seal you are talking about?

Chris
Old August 6th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I was referring to the input shaft seal in front of the clutch throw
out bearing.
Last night I looked through all of my manuals.
In the last manual I looked at, the How to Keep Your Aircooled VW
Alive by John Muir, it mentioned to be careful not to let the seal
fall inside the transmission when you are trying to remove it.
I think I've got a good idea of what to do now.
Thanks again you all of you for your help.

--------------------------

Old August 7th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

On Aug 6, 6:22 am, wrote:
> > What vehicle are you working on?

> It's a 1973 VW Beetle with a lowered compression 1600cc DP Type I
> engine and a stock transaxle.

>The only transaxle seal that has a metal ring(technically a bushing)
>is the one that goes around the shift rod. It is actually two pieces,
>the piece with the rubber lip seal is driven into the nosecone from
>the outside. Is that the seal you are talking about?

Those capable of comprehending English read that his seal does not have a
metal outer ring, and he questioned *if* it should.... Us readers also
realize he is speaking of the input shaft seal based on his subject line and
the description of where it went... For the OP I recommend a seal
installation tool, and for the tool...I mean I recommend
remedial reading courses.

Old August 26th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Aug 5, 10:45*am, wrote:
> Hello!
> What kind of home made sleeve tool can I make to install the tranny input shaft seal?

Here's what I did.
I used a tool similar to an ice pick to make about 5 little holes in
the seal between the bore and the input shaft.
All the little holes were close together.
Then I stuck a flat blade screwdriver in the holes that sort of formed
a slot.
Then I levered out the seaI.

I put a light coat of the orange Permatex rtv sealant on the outer
diameter of the seal.
I used a short piece of pcv pipe to gently drive in the new seal.

It was a fairly simple job thanks to you guys.

leaky A/C compressor shaft seal Nathan Bates General 1 March 25th 07 05:35 PM
Axle Shaft Seal -- Fragile? Dave[_29_] Jeep 3 February 22nd 07 08:31 PM
AWA [DEMAND] Lip Shaft Seal [email protected] General 0 April 11th 06 04:01 PM
ax5 input shaft jdarg Jeep 1 July 4th 05 07:26 AM
Left Transaxle Shaft Seal Doug Samuel Chrysler 7 June 3rd 05 12:59 PM