Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Old July 22nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Fred Mann

Default FIXED?!?!

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:49:13 -0700, "Matt B." >
> wrote:
>
> >"Fred Mann" > wrote in message
> >> Well, I finally got my catalytic converter all the way off. I had to

cut
> >> the
> >> screws off with a dremel. Anyway, it's completely hollow. I'm not sure

if
> >> it's supposed to be like that. My concern is that the backfires blew

some
> >> of
> >> the "guts" of the CC down the pipe and possibly cause a clog there or

in
> >> the
> >> muffler.

> >Shouldn't be hollow and yeah the guts could be plugging your mufflers.
> >
> >> Any thoughts?

> >It's probably more than you wanted but could very well be time for a
> >cat-back exhaust.
> >

> Old post to answer too. If it is completely hollow then somone
> probably gutted it with a screwdriver. On my cars they tended to melt
> down and chunks would break loose. Those chunks either rattled making
> a noisy car noisier or the car would not run due to a corked up
> exhaust.
>
> The converter is supposed to look like a honeycomb. But the grid is a
> lot smaller than the honycomb you buy at the store to chew on. The
> holes might be .5 mm in size. Maybe it is a bit bigger but it is
> fairly small. You can hold a good converter up to light and see
> through it input to output. A failed one meaning one that has clogged
> or melted down will not pass light or you will see melted parts. Go to
> any parts store and ask to see a new one.
>
> Do not put a new converter on until your car is running perfectly. You
> will just destroy a converter in short order if the car is running
> rich, lean, or if the camshaft or ignition timing is significantly
> off. I prefered to get someone to attach a sniffing probe to the
> sniffing port to make sure the mixture was correct before installing a
> new converter. The procedure is in the Bentley. Since the converter is
> hollow you could just exhaust sniff from the tailpipe. The challenge
> is finding someone with an old style exhaust analyzer that will let
> you work for 15 minutes.

Well, it appears that timing was the main issue, so I adjusted it by trial
and error since there are no marks on the wheel or a pointer in the timing
hole. Anyway, I'm at about 85% full-power now. The engine still seems to
miss a little bit, but it's not regular.
I "fixed" the exhaust leak wih JB Weld and it worked fine for my trip
downtown. The leak was limited to a small piece of missing gasket.
The exhaust is a little smoky (sometimes not visible) and it kinda stinks.
I'd guess this could be due to my timing being a little off? Also, would the
converter help the smell. I'm certain that the fuel mixture has been
adjusted, so it's probably off as well.
Is there any way to test for proper amount of vacuum at the vacuum advance?
I don't see this particular test in either of the manuals (I have a Haynes
for this car and a Bentley for the older 79 Rabbit). If so, what should the
reading be? I hooked up a meter and it moved, but it may be beyond the
sensitivity of the guage. It read maybe 1 or 2 inches of vacuum when I
revved it up.
Just for the record, the car did not run as well with the catalytic
converter removed. Besides being obviously loud as hell, there was probably
an additional 10% power loss. I don't think I imagined it. So I guess a
certain amount of backpressure is necessary? Moot point I guess.
And here in NC, my car doesn't need to pass emission inspections, so I might
put off buying a new converter ...
I would like to formally thank everyone for their input. I read everything
and I really appreciate it. Danke schoen.

Old July 22nd 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:13:12 -0400, "Fred Mann"
> wrote:

>"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>I don't see this particular test in either of the manuals (I have a Haynes
>for this car and a Bentley for the older 79 Rabbit). If so, what should the
>reading be? I hooked up a meter and it moved, but it may be beyond the
>sensitivity of the guage. It read maybe 1 or 2 inches of vacuum when I
>revved it up.
>Just for the record, the car did not run as well with the catalytic
>converter removed. Besides being obviously loud as hell, there was probably
>an additional 10% power loss. I don't think I imagined it. So I guess a
>certain amount of backpressure is necessary? Moot point I guess.
>And here in NC, my car doesn't need to pass emission inspections, so I might
>put off buying a new converter ...
>I would like to formally thank everyone for their input. I read everything
>and I really appreciate it. Danke schoen.

Backpressure is a myth. Part of what a good exhaust system does in
enhance cylinder scavenging. One cylinders pulse helps pull exhaust
out of another cylinder. Second part is anti-reversion. You want the
exhaust to go out and stay out. The muffler and converter help reduce
the exhausts tendency to go the wrong way. The converter does two
things. One is it helps reduce the stink and polution. Second is that
it reduces the exhaust noise. A straight test pipe would be quieter
than the hollowed out converter. Well that is my guess.

Timing marks. There is a zero degree mark there. You just do not know
how to read it. Well I can't swear to that but that is what my owners
manual says. Here is how you find it. Get your rotor to point close to
number 1. Remove spark plug #1. Insert large screwdriver in #1 hole.
Slowly turn crankshaft paying attention to screwdriver rising. Keep
paying attention to screwdriver and watch it fall. Turn crank the
other direction to get it back to top dead center. Look in timing hole
which should be 1.25" or so big. If that hole is just 1/2" or 3/4"
then you have a plug that needs to be removed. There is a mark on the
flywheel. It is not close to the ring gear or the machined flat
surface but below that. If you are good at reading the rise and fall
of the screwdriver then you will see. You have to find it to confirm
camshaft timing. Until you find it you are wasting your time. The
manual also mentions making a mark 12 mm to the left if you want for 6
BTDC or 6mm to the right for 3 ATDC.

There is a pointer in the timing hole if you removed the plastic plug.
It would rather hard and unlikely for someone to chip off the timing
pointer. The pointer is just a nib. It is not some huge 1/2" big arrow
with a white tip on it. It is smack dab center of the threaded hole on
the side closest to the engine block. If you were looking at the
machined back edge of the block and you used a square against the
machined block and could read the center of the threaded timing hole
you should see it. I played a carpenter and tileman in another life. I
can usually see the center of something.

You need to get someone with a good camera to take a picture. I don't
have a Rabbit anymore so I cannot take a picture. Crummy pictures from
my Bentley.
http://www.brookridgemorgans.com/jim/timing2.jpg
http://www.brookridgemorgans.com/jim/timinghole.jpg

I test vacuum advance and retard with a small hand help vacuum pump
and a timing light. The newer Bently has the specs. Bedtime.
Old July 26th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Fred Mann

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:13:12 -0400, "Fred Mann"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Jim Behning" > wrote in

message
> [...]

> pointer. The pointer is just a nib. It is not some huge 1/2" big arrow
> with a white tip on it. It is smack dab center of the threaded hole on
> the side closest to the engine block. If you were looking at the
> machined back edge of the block and you used a square against the
> machined block and could read the center of the threaded timing hole
> you should see it. I played a carpenter and tileman in another life. I
> can usually see the center of something.
>
> You need to get someone with a good camera to take a picture. I don't
> have a Rabbit anymore so I cannot take a picture. Crummy pictures from
> my Bentley.
> http://www.brookridgemorgans.com/jim/timing2.jpg
> http://www.brookridgemorgans.com/jim/timinghole.jpg
>
> I test vacuum advance and retard with a small hand help vacuum pump
> and a timing light. The newer Bently has the specs. Bedtime.

Thanks again Jim! I found the mark AND the arrow. Guess what ... it was
there the whole time! The arrow was actually formed into the threads for the
plug. I'm assuming that the mark is the timing mark and not 0 degrees. And I
set my timing under that assumption (used the idle speed from the sticker
under the hood). It seems to run even better, and I'm certainly approaching
100% power, if I'm not already there. BUT there is still a fair amount of
stink, and some smoke is visible especially after I rev the engine up to
high rpms. Unless the backfiring really did hollow out the converter,
something else must still be wrong. I put in a new air filter for the hell
of it -- no change. I *was* assuming that it was the fuel mixture, but it
seems to stink throughout the entire useable range of the mixture settings.
I remember setting the mixture with an emissions sniffer on the tailpipe a
few years ago, and I got the best readings on the lean side of "smooth"
running. So that's where it is right now. Can I only adjust the mixture with
an emissions tester hooked up?
Also, I was going to buy this manual which only goes to 1983 -- the year of
my rabbit in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RABBIT-SCIROCCO-...QQcmdZViewItem
Is there any reason to pony up the extra $40 for the newer manual that
covers 1984?

Old July 26th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Fred Mann" > wrote in message
> Also, I was going to buy this manual which only goes to 1983 -- the year
> of
> my rabbit in question:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/RABBIT-SCIROCCO-...QQcmdZViewItem
> Is there any reason to pony up the extra $40 for the newer manual that
> covers 1984?

nah - 1984 was a carryover year. wouldn't be anything majorly different in
that.

Old July 26th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:38:54 -0700, "Matt B." >
wrote:

>"Fred Mann" > wrote in message
>> Also, I was going to buy this manual which only goes to 1983 -- the year
>> of
>> my rabbit in question:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/RABBIT-SCIROCCO-...QQcmdZViewItem
>> Is there any reason to pony up the extra $40 for the newer manual that
>> covers 1984?

>nah - 1984 was a carryover year. wouldn't be anything majorly different in
>that.

I am with Matt. There might be some minor thing with an 84.
Old July 26th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:16:08 -0400, "Fred Mann"
> [...]

>stink, and some smoke is visible especially after I rev the engine up to
>high rpms. Unless the backfiring really did hollow out the converter,
>something else must still be wrong. I put in a new air filter for the hell
>of it -- no change. I *was* assuming that it was the fuel mixture, but it
>seems to stink throughout the entire useable range of the mixture settings.
>I remember setting the mixture with an emissions sniffer on the tailpipe a
>few years ago, and I got the best readings on the lean side of "smooth"
>running. So that's where it is right now. Can I only adjust the mixture with
>an emissions tester hooked up?
>Also, I was going to buy this manual which only goes to 1983 -- the year of
>my rabbit in question:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/RABBIT-SCIROCCO-...QQcmdZViewItem
>Is there any reason to pony up the extra $40 for the newer manual that

I used a dwell meter to check the fuel mix on my 84. Someone has the
procedure. My dwell meterdoes not have a 4 cylinder setting. I cannot
recall if that required a bit of math including the number 2. Or maybe
that was setting dwell on old points.

I have done a number of timing belts. I bet that I was off one tooth
on a third of them. My new car specifies that you are to turn the
engine two full revolutions to make sure you have the belt on
correctly. If I had done that on the older cars I would have been at
100%. Engine will idle fairly well with one tooth off but you will
know that the timing is off even if the ignition timing is correct.
Power and torque are off enough to easily feel.

NR2003 Backfiring sounds Jim Barbieri Simulators 3 June 17th 07 01:26 PM
CJ - backfiring problem help (a little long) [email protected] Jeep 10 June 15th 06 04:12 AM
1987 BMW 535i BackFiring James BMW 0 January 12th 06 04:59 AM
Backfiring elaich Ford Mustang 1 November 28th 05 02:48 PM
backfiring Ford Mustang 3 May 3rd 05 08:21 PM