2001 Grand Cherokee

Old April 16th 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default 2001 Grand Cherokee

On Apr 15, 3:52*pm, "Old Crow" > wrote:
> [...]

> > On Apr 13, 10:37 pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:

> > > Thanks for that advice...

> > > I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> > > persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> > > failure that plague the limited. * The front rotor problem I
> > > experienced just after the warranty expired. *Not sure but I might be
> > > dealing with that issue again.

> > > But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> > > was new to me.

> > > Other than those two things, I really could not find any other major
> > > problems. *Several individuals mentioned getting high mileage, in the
> > > 150,000+ range without major problems.

> > > So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.

> > > *Larry

> > > I have a bit of experience with high mileage engines as I was a forklift
> > > mechanic for 10 years (oldest truck with original engine was 45 years
> > > old
> > > at
> > > the time and was operated at least 80 hrs /week) and I've had five
> > > vehicles
> > > go over 200,000 miles: a '65 Plymouth 225 Slant Six (400K) a '79 Dodge
> > > 318
> > > (325K) and two XJ's (88-89) with over 330K each when I got them. plus I
> > > work
> > > on small engines.

> > > I do my own work, naturally, so I speak from hands on experience.

> > > Glad to help.

> > > Budd

> > I remember that slant six, *that engine was both reliable and
> > economical. *Are they still building them?

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Ha! *What do you think? *They were reliable and economical.
> > Damn near bullet-proof, too.
> > --
> > Old Crow
> > BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT
> > '82 FLTC 92", '87 FLTC

> Good point! *That slant six would have been great in a jeep.
>
> I am thinking about my former 91 toyota camry with a 2.0l engine that
> actually got 40 mpg on the highway.
>
> They know how to build gas saving vehicles using the old technology,
> but they don't. Instead they throw all that new technology at the
> problem making the auto more expensive, more complicated, more prone
> to failure, very expensive to repair and, in the case of hybrids with
> new battery technology, even dangerous
>
> One reason I am reluctant to buy a new car.
>
> Larry
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Also one of the reasons I quit working at the dealerships and bought a hot
> rod and restoration shop way back in the hills.
> When I started out at the dealer I was what they called a "heavy line" guy.
> That meant I did engines, head gaskets, intakes, water pump, etc. *23 years
> later when I gave it up, I was spending most of my day chasing squeaks and
> rattles and trying to be an electrical engineer.
> Sure is more satisfying to bring a rusty old hulk back to life.

I don't know if you take the Orvis catalog (men's clothing, etc), but
around Christmas every year, they come out with a totally restored
Jeep Grand Wagoneer priced, I think, around $30,000. Not sure about
the model year, but that would be in the 63-91 time period when the
Wagoneers were built. Supposedly a complete restoration from the frame
up with the engine rebuilt and tuned.

They also offer a completely restored older landy that for the first
time they wanted $65,000 for. Now they put one up every year for
auction in their catalog. Both in the Orvis catalog around Christmas
time.

So sounds like to me restoration of older classic vehicles could be
make for a good living.

Larry
Old April 16th 12, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Larry" wrote in message

I don't know if you take the Orvis catalog (men's clothing, etc), but
around Christmas every year, they come out with a totally restored
Jeep Grand Wagoneer priced, I think, around $30,000. Not sure about
the model year, but that would be in the 63-91 time period when the
Wagoneers were built. Supposedly a complete restoration from the frame
up with the engine rebuilt and tuned.

They also offer a completely restored older landy that for the first
time they wanted $65,000 for. Now they put one up every year for
auction in their catalog. Both in the Orvis catalog around Christmas
time.

So sounds like to me restoration of older classic vehicles could be
make for a good living.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you've ever watched Barrett-Jackson's auctions on Speed Channel, you've
heard the phrase,"Sold for less than the cost of restoration".
They're usually talking about some car that just sold for $30 or $40k. I've
got a doctor who put over $110k in a '69 Mustang convertible. There was a
$100k Camaro in last week. We didn't build that one, but were just doing
some mechanical stuff to it. I can do a '57 Bel-Aire for under $50k if it's
not too rusty
Heck, we even re-did a '29 International flatbed truck. That one cost about
$30k.
I'll do okay.

--
Old Crow
BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT

Old April 20th 12, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 4/15/2012 17:03, Larry wrote:

> I appreciate that reference to the Factory Service Manual. I think I
> will be keeping the GC rather than trade and the manual sounds like a
> good investment! If the blend door problem shows up, I will just deal
> with it.
>
> Still thinking about the move to synthetic oil.
>
> Thanks for the advice!
>
> Larry

One of the greatest advantages of the Factory Manual is that every now
and then it can help keep you from getting in over your head... and
taking it to a pro with the right tools.

For typical troubleshooting, it is great, particularly if you can read
the wiring diagrams as not that many mechanics are electrical literate
yet.

As for the synth, you could change over at pretty much any mileage. I
changed at about 120K with no folkloric leaks, etc. Then went back to
blend. Don't see any difference in oil use, gas mileage, etc. but tend
to change reasonably often.