Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

Old November 14th 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Liz

Default Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

replying to Steve W., Liz wrote:
Steve my heater blows cold air. Someone told me it's my thermostat any feed
back for me? Its a 97 town car lincoln

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/can...ad-115019-.htm

Old November 15th 18, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 11/14/2018 8:18 AM, Liz wrote:
> replying to Steve W., Liz wrote:
> Steve my heater blows cold air. Someone told me it's my
> thermostat any feed
> back for me? Its a 97 town car lincoln

I do not know.

But I certainly would not turn the key on that or any other
vehicle until checking the coolant level and checking the
oil stick for white/tan crud.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old November 15th 18, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Liz wrote:
> replying to Steve W., Liz wrote: Steve my heater blows cold air.
> Someone told me it's my thermostat any feed back for me? Its a 97
> town car lincoln

There are a few things that can cause that, a bad thermostat is one.
However there are a few things you can check.
One - is the coolant full?
Two - Start the engine. Let it run about a minute. Now put your hand on
the upper radiator hose. Is the hose warm? If it is there is a good
chance the thermostat is stuck open. With it closed the coolant should
stay in the engine and the hose shouldn't be heating up yet.
Three - After it has run for a while touch the two hoses that feed the
heater core. With the heat ON they should both be about the same
temperature. If one is hot and the other is noticeably cooler you have a
bad heater core and the coolant isn't getting through it.
Four - If all the above seem to be correct and working properly it can
be that the blend door inside the heater case itself isn't moving. That
would likely be a bad actuator or controller.

If you want a more in depth reply along with images and such you can
visit 2CarPros.com. It's a free site where we answer automotive
questions. Be sure to give as much information as you can about the
vehicle please.

--
Steve W.
Old November 29th 18, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Shanda: I don't know if it's the case nowadays, but back in
my day - pre-1980s - quite a few folks were driving around
with replacement thermostats installed backwards in higher
mileage cars. Didn't affect engine performance or drivability,
but the driver had no knowlledge of engine temperature until
steam started shooting from underhood, lol!

I'm dismayed how back then something as simple as an
engine thermostat wasn't KEYED to make it impossible to
install more than one way.
Old November 29th 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Xeno wrote: "If someone installs one backwards, don't ever let them near your
car. They are total nuff nuffs. "

Well apparently it was a pretty common mistake,
back then, as I heard about it and read about it
often in magazines and early on when Usenet
started.
Old November 29th 18, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"definitely not *thinkers*.
Most likely not properly trained to boot. Not the sort of people you
want working on *your* car. "

And it happened both in licensed garages
and with doityourselfers under shady
trees.

Thermostat GT[_14_] Alfa Romeo 107 December 16th 10 12:07 PM
Honda thermostat fixed + how to test your thermostat... [email protected] Honda 5 March 18th 09 03:33 AM
A6 V6 2.4/2.8 Thermostat Paul[_13_] Audi 4 February 14th 07 05:08 AM
'79 Thermostat JohnO Ford Mustang 7 January 2nd 07 04:10 PM
E46 Thermostat ReddDawg BMW 0 November 21st 05 01:05 AM