New Panel! Should I strip it?

Old July 22nd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default New Panel! Should I strip it?

>> Hi All,
>>
>> New front panels for my 68 bay arrived from GSF today!
>>
>> I have a couple of questions:
>>
>> 1) Should I strip the black stuff before etch primeing it or just etch
>> prime on top?
>> 2) Should I use the fold over flap at the bottom like 74 bay ( would it
>> make this section stronger)
>> or reform the kink and weld them together like the original 68
>> front end?
>> I just dont know what would be best.
>>
>> Any ideas guys?

>1) self etching primer is for bare metal...it contains acid that "etches"
>the metal to give it some bite....if you don't strip the panel you don't
>need self etching....you would need to properly sand the "primer" that is on
>the panel and paint over it....HOWEVER the primer that comes on those panels
>is more for protecting from surface rust during transport and storage than
>for life long use....i strip every replacement panel i install....

Thanks for the advice.

>2) don't re-invent the wheel....the panels should be replaced the way the
>factory did it....of course there are many ways to skin a cat, so to
>speak....it's your bus, so you should do what is best for it and you....i
>personally like to reconstruct them the way they came....most unibody
>vehicles are constructed in a certain order and fashion for rigidity and
>long term strength...

Yes I agree with that, but was wondering do you think VW changed the design
for rigidity reasons or speed/simplicity of construction.
I mean 68'ish was when all the fuss was being made over safety with collapsible
columns and seat belts etc etc. And safety has to be my first consideration.

Old July 22nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
news

> Yes I agree with that, but was wondering do you think VW changed the
> design
> for rigidity reasons or speed/simplicity of construction.
> I mean 68'ish was when all the fuss was being made over safety with
> collapsible
> columns and seat belts etc etc. And safety has to be my first
> consideration.

this i don't know....they changed things for a reason, but that was probably
reasons that the common folks don't know...could have been safer, faster
assembly, or just because they wanted to...i'm not sure there...maybe since
68 was the first bays, they modified and improved as they went....not sure
on this one...but Speedy Jim is a bus dude too...he'll be here any
minute...3-2-1-<boom>