secret compartments in autos

Old May 12th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Default secret compartments in autos

I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
compartments in an auto?

Anyone know more about this?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 12th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>

>>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
>>compartments in an auto?
>>
>>Anyone know more about this?

> Go here
>
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963
>
> it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

IIRC, that was one of the charges brought against Snoop Dogg last fall.

Apparently, secret compartments are standard equipment on some cars:

http://resanium.com/blog/?p=97

I ran across this article too:

http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/330200rg.htm

<quote>
Trooper Perry called for the K-9 unit from the second patrol car. I said
I wanted to watch the search and we got out of the car. The dog walked
around the outside of the vehicle. The dog did not “alert.” He did not
bark, scratch, whimper or sit down, although the trooper kept patting
certain areas of the car and would not let the dog walk away. Even
though the dog did not alert, the second trooper patted the right wheel
well and claimed that the dog had alerted. He said he would conduct a
full scale search now. I have been trained in using dogs and thought
that the search was highly improper and unusually suggestive.

Trooper Perry ordered Gregory and me to get back into the car. At this
point, I became really worried that the Troopers were going to plant
illegal contraband in my car. Trooper Perry then got the drill and took
over the search. He began drilling under the carpet at the feet of the
passenger side. Trooper Perry came back to the car and stated that he
had found “something.” The two troopers spoke privately. I was then
accused of having a secret compartment in my car that had drug residue
in it. This compartment was actually a footrest that was a feature of
the car.
</quote>
Old May 12th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>
>>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
>>compartments in an auto?
>>
>>Anyone know more about this?

> Go here
>
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963

I saw this one.

> it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

That ruling holds only in Illinois.(I agree the ban is a bad law.)

After some Google searching,I've found GA,MA,CA,IA,SC,NC and AL all have
laws prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles. That's not a complete
list,just what I've found so far. Some states also make it a felony to MAKE
a secret compartment,others go by "intent"(thoughtcrime) to hide
contraband,but make no mention of legal items being hidden.

I suspect other states also have similar laws.

I believe it derives from the War on Drugs.
I asked because of a debate about leaving firearms in cars and them getting
stolen.A hidden compartment would make it much harder to steal a
handgun,since it would not be easily discovered by a thief.

Problem is,the ban is not consistent across the entire country,so one could
be legal in your home state,but not in others,if travelling by auto.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 12th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On May 12, 2:26 pm, Jim Yanik > wrote:
> Ashton Crusher > wrote :
>
> > On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:

> >>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
> >>compartments in an auto?

> >>Anyone know more about this?

> > Go here

> >http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963

> I saw this one.
>

> > it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> > may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> > demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

> That ruling holds only in Illinois.(I agree the ban is a bad law.)
>
> After some Google searching,I've found GA,MA,CA,IA,SC,NC and AL all have
> laws prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles. That's not a complete
> list,just what I've found so far. Some states also make it a felony to MAKE
> a secret compartment,others go by "intent"(thoughtcrime) to hide
> contraband,but make no mention of legal items being hidden.
>
> I suspect other states also have similar laws.
>
> I believe it derives from the War on Drugs.
> I asked because of a debate about leaving firearms in cars and them getting
> stolen.A hidden compartment would make it much harder to steal a
> handgun,since it would not be easily discovered by a thief.
>
> Problem is,the ban is not consistent across the entire country,so one could
> be legal in your home state,but not in others,if travelling by auto.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

Hmmm, Isn't this interferring with interstate commerce in some cases?

Old May 13th 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:
> I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
> compartments in an auto?
>
> Anyone know more about this?

Illinois state law is that police can sieze a person's vehicle if there
is a hidden compartment that didn't come with the car from the factory
and the police believe it was to hide something from them. The way the
law is written, if someone thought the local PD was after his jelly
doughnuts so he built a secret compartment and hid a dozen jelly
doughnuts in there, the cops upon discovering the compartment and the
jelly doughnuts using their dog could then take the car.

Old May 13th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:

> http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/330200rg.htm
>
><quote>
> Trooper Perry called for the K-9 unit from the second patrol car. I said
> I wanted to watch the search and we got out of the car. The dog walked
> around the outside of the vehicle. The dog did not ?alert.? He did not
> bark, scratch, whimper or sit down, although the trooper kept patting
> certain areas of the car and would not let the dog walk away. Even
> though the dog did not alert, the second trooper patted the right wheel
> well and claimed that the dog had alerted. He said he would conduct a
> full scale search now. I have been trained in using dogs and thought
> that the search was highly improper and unusually suggestive.

Isn't this *EXACTLY* what jaybird told me -NEVER- happens and I was just
paranoid? ? The cop just says the dog alerted or he makes the dog
alert.

> Trooper Perry ordered Gregory and me to get back into the car. At this
> point, I became really worried that the Troopers were going to plant
> illegal contraband in my car. Trooper Perry then got the drill and took
> over the search. He began drilling under the carpet at the feet of the
> passenger side. Trooper Perry came back to the car and stated that he
> had found ?something.? The two troopers spoke privately. I was then
> accused of having a secret compartment in my car that had drug residue
> in it. This compartment was actually a footrest that was a feature of
> the car.
></quote>

The rest of the story gets even worse.... just the sort of thing I'm told
doesn't happen. It's congressional testimony though.

Old May 13th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Fred G. Mackey wrote:
>

>>http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/330200rg.htm
>>
>><quote>
>>Trooper Perry called for the K-9 unit from the second patrol car. I said
>>I wanted to watch the search and we got out of the car. The dog walked
>>around the outside of the vehicle. The dog did not ?alert.? He did not
>>bark, scratch, whimper or sit down, although the trooper kept patting
>>certain areas of the car and would not let the dog walk away. Even
>>though the dog did not alert, the second trooper patted the right wheel
>>well and claimed that the dog had alerted. He said he would conduct a
>>full scale search now. I have been trained in using dogs and thought
>>that the search was highly improper and unusually suggestive.

> Isn't this *EXACTLY* what jaybird told me -NEVER- happens and I was just
> paranoid? ? The cop just says the dog alerted or he makes the dog
> alert.

Yup. And we all know it does happen. I used to work with some guys
that said a former coworker had a vehicle completely disassembled at the
US/Canada border just because he mouthed off to a border guard
(apparently this guy was not the brightest bulb in the candelabra.)

>>Trooper Perry ordered Gregory and me to get back into the car. At this
>>point, I became really worried that the Troopers were going to plant
>>illegal contraband in my car. Trooper Perry then got the drill and took
>>over the search. He began drilling under the carpet at the feet of the
>>passenger side. Trooper Perry came back to the car and stated that he
>>had found ?something.? The two troopers spoke privately. I was then
>>accused of having a secret compartment in my car that had drug residue
>>in it. This compartment was actually a footrest that was a feature of
>>the car.
>></quote>

> The rest of the story gets even worse.... just the sort of thing I'm told
> doesn't happen. It's congressional testimony though.

The above really scares me because Porsches pretty much all have "false
floors" and they tend to hide important, expensive stuff under them...
like engine computers. A cop could easily destroy a car simply by
drilling a hole in the floor. I mean, the car would still be OK, but it
would cost more to buy a new computer from Porsche than the car is worth.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 13th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On May 12, 2:26 pm, Jim Yanik > wrote:
> Ashton Crusher > wrote :
>
> > On 12 May 2007 18:12:16 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:

> >>I recal reading somewhere that there was a law against having secret
> >>compartments in an auto?

> >>Anyone know more about this?

> > Go here

> >http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963

> I saw this one.
>

> > it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad law
> > may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
> > demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

> That ruling holds only in Illinois.(I agree the ban is a bad law.)
>
> After some Google searching,I've found GA,MA,CA,IA,SC,NC and AL all have
> laws prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles. That's not a complete
> list,just what I've found so far. Some states also make it a felony to MAKE
> a secret compartment,others go by "intent"(thoughtcrime) to hide
> contraband,but make no mention of legal items being hidden.
>
> I suspect other states also have similar laws.
>
> I believe it derives from the War on Drugs.
> I asked because of a debate about leaving firearms in cars and them getting
> stolen.A hidden compartment would make it much harder to steal a
> handgun,since it would not be easily discovered by a thief.
>
> Problem is,the ban is not consistent across the entire country,so one could
> be legal in your home state,but not in others,if travelling by auto.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

Interesting. I knew there was _a_ law but I thought it was a federal
one. Guess I was wrong (as if that never happens).

Harry K

Old May 13th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> The above really scares me because Porsches pretty much all have
> "false floors" and they tend to hide important, expensive stuff under
> them... like engine computers. A cop could easily destroy a car
> simply by drilling a hole in the floor. I mean, the car would still
> be OK, but it would cost more to buy a new computer from Porsche than
> the car is worth.
>
> nate

For that,you bill the folks who drilled the hole.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 13th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Harry K > wrote in
oups.com:

> On May 12, 2:26 pm, Jim Yanik > wrote:
>> Ashton Crusher > wrote
>> :

>> > Go here

>> >http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n16745963

>> I saw this one.
>>

>> > it's what I found with a quick google search. Looks like this bad
>> > law may have been declared unconstitutional. It's just another law
>> > demonstrating that your gvt has no respect for your rights.

>> That ruling holds only in Illinois.(I agree the ban is a bad law.)
>>
>> After some Google searching,I've found GA,MA,CA,IA,SC,NC and AL all
>> have laws prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles. That's not a
>> complete list,just what I've found so far. Some states also make it a
>> felony to MAKE a secret compartment,others go by
>> "intent"(thoughtcrime) to hide contraband,but make no mention of
>> legal items being hidden.
>>
>> I suspect other states also have similar laws.
>>
>> I believe it derives from the War on Drugs.
>> I asked because of a debate about leaving firearms in cars and them
>> getting stolen.A hidden compartment would make it much harder to
>> steal a handgun,since it would not be easily discovered by a thief.
>>
>> Problem is,the ban is not consistent across the entire country,so one
>> could be legal in your home state,but not in others,if travelling by
>> auto.
>>
>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik
>> at
>> kua.net

> Interesting. I knew there was _a_ law but I thought it was a federal
> one. Guess I was wrong (as if that never happens).
>
> Harry K

I wouldnt be surprised to find that there is some such Federal law either
already on the books or being considered.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik